vingt-un

"Looks like three broken ribs," Deaton hovered over me, looking at my body. "I suggest you stay like this- it'll heal faster."

Ms. Blake needed me tonight.

I whined, looking at them.

"It's your fault, Kayla," Scott sighed. "If you hadn't attacked Aiden, you wouldn't have gotten hurt."

I growled at him.

"It's true," he shrugged.

I stood up, growling more but was replaced by a blinding pain from my side.

"I told you not to move," Deaton groaned. "It's going to make it longer."

I felt my body collapse, the pain weakening my legs. My vision went black.

"Kayla?" Lydia asked.

+

I found myself achy and filled with tremendous pain. I was back to normal, cloaked over with a blanked. My body was tired and not ready to move, but I knew that I had to.

I got up from my bed, looking at the bruises on my ribcage. Quickly, I changed and jumped out my window, grabbing my car keys as I winced and ran. My phone was in my back, left pocket, knowing that Stiles would've texted me several times. I got into my car, roaring it to life as the November air sent a chill down my spine.

By the time I got to the school, the music playing from the recital was crying into the air and hung low with despair. I ran in, scenting out Ms. Blake. I smelt Scott, Stiles, Lydia all of them. They were here and they were going to have to fight against me.

As I made my way towards her, I felt a sudden shudder run through my veins as a million screams erupted from the gym. No- this wasn't supposed to happen. When I found my legs carrying me towards the hotspot of the members of my pack, there lie a woman, bloodied with her throat cleanly sliced. Allison was towards the stage with Isaac, but I was halted by a tap on my shoulder by Ms. Blake.

"You're late," she rolled her eyes. "We have to go. Now."

I ran beside her, my running shoes smacking against the floor. It was there I realized how dangerous I was getting myself into, but it was for a cause I couldn't do anything but aid in. Ms. Blake was going to destroy me- exploit me, leave me to get eaten by the wolves when the lunar eclipse came forth.

Lydia, all red-haired, green eyed, poured her glare of panic into my system. There she was, mascara running down her cheeks and her hands and feet were tired down. Her hair was sloppily laid on top of her head, stained cheeks no longer vibrating with joy.

"What are you doing?" Lydia cried, look straight at me.

"What's necessary. I'm still surprised none of you seem to get that. You call them sacrifices, but you're not understanding the word. It's derived from the Latin sacrificium, an offering to a deity, a sacred rite. A necessary evil," Ms. Blake shook her head.

"Stop," Lydia cried as a garrote was tied around her neck.

I kept my mouth shut but I knew my instincts would take over.

"Oh, I wish I could," Ms. Blake shook her head. "But you don't know the alphas like I do."

"Please," she cried, "stop."

"But you, Lydia, you're not a sacrifice. You're just a girl who knows too much. Actually, a girl who knew too much."

She screamed, my ears pulsing with pain. My eyes began to glow from the familiar burn that I always get. Her screaming continued, my body writhing with a desire to leave it to make her shut up. I was on my knees by the time she finished, years falling out of my eyes.

"Unbelievable. You have no idea what you are, do you? The wailing woman. A banshee, right before my eyes. You're just like me, Lydia. Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under it. It's too bad, though... And too late," Ms. Blake hissed.

I growled at her before she turned the garrote for the final time.

"You promised none of my friends would get hurt!" I growled.

"I didn't promise that for tonight," she snickered.

"No, please," Lydia sobbed.

Scott came into the room, growling at me and Ms. Blake.

"What the hell are you doing here?" he growled at me, fully shifted.

"She made a deal with me," Ms. Blake laughed. "If she told anyone, I'd tell everyone about her. She's been helping me for some time now."

The sheriff ran in here, a gun pointed at her.

He began yelling accusations at her, trying to do anything from strangling Lydia. She began to fight with him, my body unable to move. I saw her pull his badge out, jabbing it into his chest.

"No," I felt my voice rise with power and rage.

I ran at her, shifting as I launched myself into the air. I bit down at her shoulder, my eyes burning with a fury I had never felt before. Scott was silent and the door was barricaded with a panicked Stiles banging on the door. Ms. Blake screamed, but it was too late. She ripped me off of her, sending my crashing down against the concrete. Scott roared over my body, glass shattering and the sheriff was gone.

"Scott?" Stiles finally got the door open.

Scott backed away from my body as I was barely breathing.

"Is what she said true?" Scott had a glassy-eyed appearance.

'Yes,' I said into Stiles's mind.

"She said yeah," Stiles sniffled.

Scott walked over to Lydia, carefully taking the garrote off her neck.

I felt Stiles lift me up in his arms, begging me to shift back so no one would see me. I could barely process the thought of walking, never mind shifting. So, Stiles went toward the back exit and dropped me off in his car, crying the entire time.

"You betrayed us, Kayla," he slammed his head on the steering wheel. "My dads taken. You're hurt. Lydia almost died. If you would've just stayed out of this whole mess you would be home, healing, not on the brink of a serious head injury," he sobbed.

'I'm sorry,' I whined.

"No more of this. You stay out of this. You stay home. You don't get involved or-or you'll never see me again."

I was shocked to say the least.

"I can't keep seeing you getting hurt. It's killing me," he looked painfully into my eyes. "I'm going to call Anna, get you home. If we need you, we'll call. For now, get some sleep, heal."

I whined, not wanting to face my sisters.

"Sleep Kayla. I'll make sure you get home," he ordered.

-----

So I know this is short but I figured it was a good place to stop at. I'll try to get another chapter in by the end of this weekend. Love ya!!

-Katie