douze

I wasn't sure whether I remained a hollow shell for a number of days or not. I wasn't sure that my mother actually came back and was one of them. Was she always like that? Is that why half of my family split? I had one older sister, Anna, and a younger one by the name of Natalie. Natalie was my twin, but packed up and left as soon as my mother did. Anna stayed for a few weeks, but left and never came back one day. I also had a brother, Kyle, who was the oldest out of all of us. Kyle moved out when I was 12 and he was 18. One day Kyle just didn't come around anymore and that's what I believed drew my mother away from us; her family. My father struggled with the fact that he didn't know where some of his kids were and I was a constant reminder of Natalie. Natalie was always the perky one, the one who always had a smile on her face because it was real. I, on the other hand, was a professional at faking everything I did on a daily basis. Whether it was playing dumb for the boys or putting a smile on my face when I walked up to Troy, I knew deep down that it wasn't me.

I missed my twin, my sister, and my brother. They had been my support system since day one. I knew that Jamie struggled after they left for a long time, but I didn't really rely on her solely. I had relied mostly Natalie since we were the closest. I was only eleven minutes older than her but she seemed more carefree and down to earth when we were just children. I'm sure if my family had stayed together that we might've actually had a chance at normal, happy lives, but I guess my mother hated Jamie and I that much to want to leave us.

Anna had been the cooler older sister that every girl dreamed of having. She was only two years older than Natalie and I, yet she seemed to be the person that everyone could trust- that everyone could love. Anna was the person everyone adored in school with her long, red hair that cascaded down her back. She had a personality that could draw you in and you'd be rewarded for it all at the same time. I guess I considered her more than a friend than a sister. They always said that blood was thicker than water, which in reality it actually isn't, but it felt the other way around with Anna and I. She left when I was 14 and didn't even tell us. All she left was a note that said "I hope you understand" and I never did. I never understood why she ran away- we were the perfect family until we all fell apart.

"Kayla?" Jamie asked at my door. "Kayla you've been up here for days. C'mon, let's go see a movie or something."

"No," I coldly replied back.

"C'mon Kayla," Jamie coaxed,"I'll even take you to the one with the reclining chairs."

"No, Jamie," I held back a growl.

She backed away from my door, leaving me again with my horrid thoughts on life. The voices no longer lurked in my dreams but infiltrated my every breath I took and every pinprick of a noise I heard. They were real and in my life now, spreading their infectious pleas with every word they dared to say. It was killing me from the inside out to not be able to save them from their imminent deaths, but it still hurt to know that they were dying and I could do nothing about it. Most of the time I heard their prayers, pleading god to let them go peacefully or remove their pain.

I hated being unable to help.

"Kayla?" a boy's voice was in my room now. "Kayla," someone shook me.

I was to hollow to answer. I didn't care who it was and I really didn't feel like talking. As the person looked into my eyes with concern and worry, I blankly stared back, no expressions on my face. He got up and held a phone up to his ear.

"She's not responding, Scott. I-I don't know what to do," the boy stuttered.

"I don't know," another boy answered. "Look, Danny's in the hospital and he was poisoned with mistletoe. He almost died on me but my mom stepped in. Doctors are going missing, Stiles. My mom might be taken."

"Scott relax. Danny is okay. Your mom won't be taken," the boy coaxed on the phone. "I need help, though. She's so gone."

"Take her to Deaton. He'll know what to do," the phone replied.

"How am I going to get her out?" the boy bit his fingernails. "Will Deaton know what to do with her?"

"He should know what to do. Get her out somehow, Stiles. I'm busy," the phone sighed.

The boy returned to me, his eyes wide with concern. He hugged me, tapped me, poked me. He did everything to get me out of my daze- but I didn't want to. I was comfortable listening to the wailing of thousands of people begging for my help. I heard the front door open and close, a smile forming on his face. His arms slipped underneath me, carrying me to a car that was blue.

"C'mon Kayla," the boy put the car on. "You gotta get up."

It was nighttime, the moon almost full. Which reminded me that I was going to change into something that I didn't want to. My eyes barely moved from the lights on the streets, my mind bare with thoughts. We pulled up to an office building, the boy coming to my door. He lifted me up into his arms, opening the door with my body.

"What's wrong with her?" a man asked.

"She's not responding to anything. No words. Not even looking a different way."

The man shined a light in my eyes, the light not even bothering me. He kept doing tests and tests and yet I still never answered.

"Do you know how long she's been like this?" the man questioned.

"Isaac said he blacked out at her house four days ago and she's been like this ever since," the boy explained.

"Four days? That means she hasn't eaten or drank anything in four days. I'm going to set up an IV of fluid. We have to get her to eat."

"What happens if she doesn't eat soon?"

"Her animal side takes over to replenish the body. That means she could change sooner and we still don't know what's going on in her head."

I felt a prick in my arm, my eyes burning with something I've never felt before.

"She's already turning," the man whispered. "Something must've set her off that made her this way."

"Well how to we reverse it?"

"We don't."

"What do you mean 'we don't'?" the boy yelled.

"We can't do anything to stop this. It's a natural process. What's happening with her is that mind is prepping for her transformation. Whatever we do to help her, her animal side won't let us."

"There must be a way to stop it!" the boy screamed, pressing his palms into his head.

"There is," a new voice came in.

"Get out," the man narrowed his eyes at the new voice.

"Give her to us and we'll fix her."

"You can't fix her," the man stepped in front of me.

"But we can!" the voice yelled.

"Don't touch her," the boy wrapped me in his arms.

"Boohoo your girlfriends turning into something. Cry me a river, Stiles. She belongs to us now," the voice cackled.

"How did you even find out about her?" the boy questioned.

"Her mother."

I felt my teeth pull back into a snarl, my eyes burning again. My body jumped up, launching my body at the voice. She was one of those people that had me in the vault. I clawed at her, my body violently shaking. Before I knew it, my whole body shifted, growls erupting from my mouth.

"Kayla!" two female voices screamed.

They pulled me off of her, their eyes searching for a sign of hope in my eyes.

"Kayla! Its your sisters!" the older one shouted seeing me beginning to attack them. "We're here!"

I kept growling, clawing at them. Arms wrapped around me, a needle pricked into my neck.

"Sleep," the boy's voice demanded. "We'll all be here when you wake up."

-----

That's Anna- played by Andrea Froset.