quatre

My palms were sweating up a storm as I awaited the arrival of the coveted Alpha, or as Scott liked to call him, Derek. The full moon was coming and I could feel it deep within my bones as if I knew that my world would come to an end soon. My head was pounding as if I could feel the power radiating through the door as Derek stood there, slowly and painfully turning the doorknob. I wanted to rip out everyone's throats, aside from Scott and Stiles' who seemed to be the most helpful and understanding.

Derek entered, his powering stature over powering mine. I shriveled back into the back of the room, Derek's eyes quickly averting the gazes from everyone in the room. Unfortunately, the only one he wasn't avoiding was mine. All big, green, widened and frightful eyes were pouring into his. Scott decided to intervene at the moment, calling Derek off to the side.

"I don't see anything," Derek growled.

"Look again," Scott encouraged.

"How is a bruise going to tell me where Boyd and Erica are?" Derek hissed, rolling his eyes.

"It's the same thing on both sides. Exactly the same," Scott pointed to their bruises on their wrists.

"It's nothing," Derek narrowed his eyes at Scott.

"Pareidolia. Seeing patterns that aren't there," Lydia butted in with her genius brain. "It's a subset of apophenia."

"They're trying to help," Scott gritted his teeth.

"These two. This one, who used me to resurrect my psychotic Uncle. Thank you. And this one, who shot about 30 arrows into me and my pack," Derek snarled, shaking his head.

"Okay, all right, now, come on. No one died, all right? Look, there may have been a little maiming, okay, a little mangling, but no death. That's what I call an important distinction," Stiles pointed out quite sarcastically.

"My mother died," Allison rebutted teary-eyes.

"Your family's little honor code killed your mother. Not me," Derek looked away.

"That girl was looking for Scott. I'm here to help him, not you," Allison cried.

"You wanna help? Find something real," Derek reached for the doorknob. "Kayla, you're coming with me."

My stomach dropped to the floor.

"No. I-I," I felt so fearful that I wanted to disappear.

I couldn't get his red eyes out of my mind.

"Kayla isn't going anywhere. She's my responsibility. Now, just give her a chance. Okay, they're on our side now," Scott was referring to Allison.

"Well then maybe you should tell her what her mother was actually trying to do that night," Derek left, pulling me out of the room.

"Let me go!" I cried, but since it was early in the morning no one heard me.

"No, Kayla. I have to tell you about this," Derek sighed, looking at me. "I'm not the bad guy. I'm anything but."

I shook underneath his grasp.

"My family," he paused. "My family was burned to death in a fire when I was young. I was born like this as I'm sure Scott told you what you are now. I have no choice in what I am as you don't now but I do have a choice to be a leader and I will lead you both in the right direction. There's people missing and I need to find them. I need you to stick with someone at all times I just, I can't let another person be taken."

"Derek," Stiles came out after us. "Let her go. She's afraid of you, can't you see it?"

"Are you afraid of me?" Derek scrunched his eyebrows. "Don't answer. I can hear your heart beating. You don't need to be afraid."