quatorze

I was sitting in class, aimlessly doodling on my agenda. Scott and Stiles were sitting together in our English class, chatting lowly so I couldn't hear them. I was sitting next to some girl, who I had barely gotten to know. Of course, I had barely been in school so where was the opportunity to really get to know her.

Ms. Blake wasn't doing anything special, so I kept on doodling. I drew a moon, high in the sky. The pools of the moon were the same as always, the glistening shining bright in the paper. Scott's phone started to vibrate, my ears perking up as he held it to his ear lowly.

"Hey, doc," it was his boss, "sorry I'm in class right now. Can I call you back later?"

Deaton sighed.

"Unfortunately, no. I honestly thought I might never have to burden you like this, but I'm afraid, at the moment, you're my only hope. I'm going to be taken. I need you to find me," he feverishly explained.

Scott got up and grabbed my arm, pulling me out of the classroom.

"Emergency," I heard Stiles say to the teacher before following us. "What the hell is going on?" Stiles was running after us.

Scott didn't even look at Stiles' car as we ran down the road. He wasn't pulling me- I was running faster than him. Stiles was trying to get into his car but we were more than half a mile away. We turned into the woods, dodging branches and jumping over creeks. Eventually I saw the vet's office; the boys were far behind me. I beat Scott here but five minutes and Stiles by ten. By the time they got here, I had already called the police or Stiles' dad. I had scoped the building, searching for his scent, which disappeared not far from the office.

"Is he here?" Scott wiped sweat from his forehead.

"No," I shook my head. "He isn't here."

"Did someone call my dad?" Stiles came, his eyes furrowed with frustration.

"I did. As soon as I got here," I could hear the sirens blazing nearby.

"I'm calling someone to come get you," Stiles picked his phone from his back pocket.

"No. No, no one needs to come for me," I shook my head. "There's no one to come for me."

"My dad can take you home," Stiles' fingers shook. "Someone can take you home. I-I can't have you here."

"Now is not the time for relationship drama, Stiles," I scolded. "We have people to find and save."

The Sheriff's car pulled up. As soon as he saw me, I reverted back behind Stiles. I didn't realize that I'd "met his dad" until now. He didn't see me, he just walked up to Stiles and Scott.

"Who's this?" he nodded to me.

"It's Kayla. The one I told you about," Stiles wanted to get to the point.

"So you're the infamous," he held out his hand.

I shook it quickly, Stiles towering over me the entire time.

"Kayla called the police as soon as she got her. I'm sorry. Your boss's car is still here, and the back door was wide open. Scott... I need you to tell me everything," the sheriff stated.

Scott pulled Stiles aside, leaving me with Stiles' father.

"So," he smiled at me, "what do you find so interesting in my son?"

The gun was burning holes in me already.

Scott and Stiles came back quickly, which let me hide behind Stiles again. His dad intimidated me at a very high rate.

I felt my back seize up at that particular moment, my body crumbling to the ground. Stiles was debating on what to do; I could see it in his face. I nodded for him to take his father out to his car, Scott kneeling beside my body. His father was yelling at Stiles to go and help me- but a human in this situation was no better.

"What's going on?" Scott looked at the dots of sweat gathering up at my hairline.

"I'm," I was breathing heavily, "I think I'm changing."

Scott's eyes furrowed, a frown forming between his eyes.

"Studies show the more times you do that the more wrinkles you get," I painfully joked.

"Kayla," Scott laughed, "now is not the time for cracking jokes."

"Then what is it for?" I was getting my mind off of the imminent situation coming up. "A tea party?"

"No," he shook his head.

Another person came into the room when Stiles returned.

"Uh, Scott?" Stiles asked, trying to get his attention.

"What's going on with her?" It was the guidance counselor, Ms. Morrell.

"She's shifting," Scott held my body in his arms. "Black dog."

Her face seemed pained.

"You boys need to get out. We all do, besides her. We don't know what type she is, but she'll stay this way. Until the full moon," Ms. Morrell explained.

"The full moons tonight," Stiles mumbled.

"She'll do something we'll least expect. Minds are like that. For now, we need to put her in a place where we can watch her," Ms. Morrell seemed to have all the answers.

"Deaton has a crate in here, it's meant for rabid dogs. We could try that with a door closed," Scott suggested.

My skull felt like it was being pulled apart. I couldn't hear much after that, but I did feel them lift me up. Their hands carried me to a dog crate, improvisation at its finest. My eyes burnt with their fiery force, my body clicking into places I didn't know existed.

"We have to get out," Ms. Morrell screamed. "Now!"

They locked the door and the outside door in about ten seconds. I kept hearing the voices, but this time I had a feeling I could go to them. My muscles tensed up, preparing for the final release which would change me. I shut my eyes, knowing that this would be the last few moment of myself that I would ever have. I remembered my family, their love for me never failing. My true family, the ones that stayed, and even the people that weren't blood. Scott was my brother- there was no telling that. Stiles, he was the one that I could count on. Isaac was the one I could cry on and he would feel bad for me. Boyd was the one I could relate to, along with Cora. Derek acted like a big guy, but he never failed me in saving my life and always watched out for me. Allison never liked me and I wish I could change that. Lydia started to warm up to me, but it didn't happen in time.

I felt my mindset change, a more hopeful attitude sparking from within me. I felt this entropic surge of fire come from my chest, spreading the belief of a thousand lives. All the tightness let go, my body relaxing within the touch. I was myself still, except I was in a different body. I heard a sigh that showed a sign of relief, relaxation coming from the door where the two people I love the most were. Stiles was reaching for the door, Ms. Morrell stopping him. Scott was smiling, a huge puppy-dog grin that I hadn't seen in weeks. He was so happy, I could feel his emotions seeping through. I stood up tall, my body enjoying the sudden shift. I couldn't be more the size of a German shepherd or a greyhound - I still wasn't tall. I looked down at my hands and feet, which were no longer fingers and toes.

Stiles opened the door, a smile on his goofy face.

"You did it," he cried, opening up the crate's door.

I froze. Something was wrong. I ran past them, the boys shouting my name.

Someone was going to die tonight and I could feel it.

-----

I'd give this story maybe 10 chapters. I'm looking to do a sequel for season 3b.

Don't forget to vote and comment!!

-Katie