𝐢𝐯. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐞𝐬𝐭

Note: Long-ish chapter ahead. Happy reading!

One day before Final Selection

——•——

The sun had set. The children had a delicious meal together with their master. Urokodaki emphasized that they could eat as much as they wanted, for they deserved it. Urokodaki knew all too well what could happen to them.

After their meal, the three teenagers sat with their master, preparing for what they were about to do together. They were about to travel past the mountain and to Mt. Fujikasane for the ultimate test: Final Selection. Airi Hanata had ferociously trained for the seven day event. She was ready, and so were her companions.

Their lives were at risk, but the three teenagers were mentally prepared more than anyone else in the world. Although Airi felt weaker than the two boys, she knew that she still had experienced hardcore training in so little time. She applauded herself anyway.

Airi pushed through relentless training. And to her, that's all that matters.

Urokodaki stepped in front of them and looked at the three children, all in a line. They all looked back at him, admiring his strength to teach them what he knew best – the breath of water.

He approached Sabito first, a brand new silk white haori in his hands.

"In all of my days, you are among my strongest students. I have no doubt you will pull through with this. Come back alive and I have no doubt you will save thousands of our kind." Urokodaki handed Sabito the haori, as Sabito bowed in response, his mask lying at an angle on top of his head.

"I will forever be grateful for you." Sabito responded, smiling. His eyes were still bright, even after all he had gone through.

He then shifted over and put his hands on Tomioka's shoulders. Urokodaki took a mask from his side, placing it gently into Giyū's hands that were clasped together.

"I have great faith in you, Giyū. Take this warding mask, and wear it with pride. Come back to me alive." He spoke with a tone of concern in his voice.

Giyū simply nodded, tears filling his eyes in fear. He adjusted his ruby red haori and put on the mask. He wiped his tears away quickly, but Airi still caught him in the moment.

Airi sympathized with Tomioka.

Urokodaki turned around after talking to Giyū, approaching a pile of cloth with a mask on top of them in the corner of the room. The mask resembled a native porcelain doll. It's eyes were angled and black like Sabito's mask, but the cheeks were red and small red lips were carved delicately. Airi was humbled, very humbled.