What's wrong with Jack?

The doctor said that I was perfectly healthy.

"See mom, I told you there was nothing to worry about." 

"Yes, but you never know. I'ts better to be safe then sorry." she said so expertly. I just rolled my eyes, she was right in her motherly way as usual.

We drove home and my mom asked me about Jack "Wait you said you didn't see him, but he was at school right?" 

"Ya he was, I didn't see him when he was supposed to walk me home, and when we were at the doctor's office I texted him, but he didn't responded."

"Oh well maybe he's just busy honey, you know how life is sometimes, don't worry about it you'll probably see him tomorrow" so mom-like, so typical, but again she was probably right.

"Ya I guess." The rest of the car ride home was quiet.

I got home and into my room, I felt the wind rushing and I looked toward the source. "Oh my gosh" I whispered as I noticed Jack was sitting in the black sofa chair. 

"You should never leave your window open" he said cockily. 

"The window wasn't open. How did you get in?" I asked breathless. Oh my god, Jack was in my house! My window hadn't been open so how had he gotten inside?

"Why didn't you walk me home today, best friend?" I asked. 

"I had some stuff to do. I didn't text you back when you were at the doctor's because I was fishing, with my dad. Sorry, I decided to come and apologize about that."

"Oh...well I accept your apology, Jack. Are you hungry, do you want something to eat or drink?" I offered.

"No it's fine, I ate while you were gone."

"You never answered my question of how you got in?" I asked suspiciously. 

He pulled me into his lap, and whispered hoarsely into my ear, "Do you really want to know?" 

"I don't know you tell me" I whispered back. 

"Nah. We''ll save the answer for some other time. Are you tired?"

"I guess. Well what time is it?" I responded. I looked at the clock and it was late. "Wow, how is it so late?" I asked more to myself than to Jack. 

"You were at the doctor's for hours remember?" he asked.

"Oh ya" I whispered as I began to drift off.

I was in my house and I noticed that everything was out of place, it looked as if someone had been searching through my house.

I started looking for a picture of Jack and I before the summer had begun. That was one of my most prized possessions. They could have taken anything, but as long as my money and that picture were safe then I was good.

I found my money and every thing else except for the picture. Jack walked into the room and asked "What are you looking for Jenny?"

"Um, remember that picture of you and I...I can't seem to find it" I responded sadly. 

He was leaning on the door frame near the desk and then he said "Is it this one?" he held up a picture of me and him, in the trees. 

"Yes how did you...?" I asked my question trailing off. "But-"

Jack put his fingers on my lips and whispered "Shhh. There's many things going on, it's complicated." 

That's when the dream shifted and I was awake in Jack's arms. Oh wow what happened? Did I just doze off here with Jack yesterday?

My mom opened the door to tell me to wake up like she always did, but she saw Jack and just eyed me suspiciously. She winked and left the room. Well at least she didn't think anything wrong of me. My mom knew that I was q good kid and Jack was too, so oddly enough she was okay with it.

I stretched out and Jack started waking up as well, "Did you sleep well?"

"Ya, you?" I pondered for a bit. Jack has been kind of weird lately.

We got to school and Jack and I were silent which was odd because we hardly ever were?

"What's wrong?" I asked him as we got to school.

"Nothing, things are just complicated."

"I am your best friend for something aren't I?" I didn't want to press too much, but I also wanted him to tell me.Why had he just repeated the same line he had said in the dream?

"Yes you are my best friend Jenny, but there are things even a best friend can't know" was his simple reply. 

"Oh..." And with that he walked off faster to his first period class leaving me alone to analyze what he just said.