Chapter 23

Leaftail stifled out a yawn as she stretched her body. She had only been sleeping for a few hours since the incident last night. She looked around and noticed everyone were already outside. As she was about to pad out to see what was happening outside, a thought struck her. "If Ivytail is dead, then who will be Curlpaw's mentor?"

As if to answere her question, Leaftail suddenly heard a yowl outside. "Let all cats gather here for a meeting."

Leaftail then padded outside. She saw Greenstar and Splashstar sitting near some trees with the deputies beside them. Curlpaw was near them with Sunpool, her mother, licking her fur frantically.Their heads were held high and they showed no anxiety. Most of the cats had also gathered and were crowding around them.

Leaftail chose a spot beside Blossompaw who gave her a warm smile and flicked her tail to tell her that she was welcomed. But beneath her smile Leaftail could see it hid anxiety and awkwardness. "The prophecy is ruining our relationship," Leaftail thought uneasily. "She thinks I'm going to really save the clans and be a hero. Why StarClan, why must you force me to have such a burden?"

As she settled down to listen to what the leaders have to say, Bramblewing sat down beside her. He nodded his head embarrassingly before saying, "Um... hi, Leaftail..."

"Why does he stammer when he talks?" Leaftail thought absent-mindly before ignoring Bramblewing and looked at Greenstar purposely. She then tried to avoid the hurt that flashed in Bramblewing's eyes.

"Cat from both clans, yes, even Waterclan, I have something to tell all of you." Leaftail's ears pricked up when she heard Greenstar talking. "As you may know, Ivytail had joined Starclan, and thus Curlpaw doesn't have a mentor anymore. So, I discuss with some of my senior warriors last night, and had chosen another mentor for Curlpaw."

"Her mentor must be Birchpelt that mouse-brain," Leaftail thought angrily, though still too embarrassed to look at Bramblewing. Instead, she stared at her paws when Greenstar continued, "I thought Birchpelt will be a great mentor for Curlpaw..."

"I knew it."

"... But after discussing with my warriors, we have decided to let Leaftail be Curlpaw's mentor."

Leaftail let out a huge gasp when she heard her name being announced. All of cats looked at her with curious eyes but Leaftail did not know what to say.

"I-I b-but I need to lead to clans so..." Leaftail finally stammered, eyes blinking furiously.

But Greenstar then said, "Leaftail, you can teach Curlpaw your navigation skills and when we are resting, you can teach her the usual stuff. So please, come here."

Leaftail stood up and found Birchpelt glaring at her. She then realised Curlpaw would have been Birchpelt's apprentice if not for her. Trying to avoid eye contact with him, she padded up to the leaders and Curlpaw.

When she was next to them, Greenstar said loudly, "I call upon ny warrior ancestors to give this apprentice a new mentor. Curlpaw, you have lost your mentor, so your new mentor will be Leaftail."

Leaftail touched noses with Curlpaw and Curlpaw then licked her shoulders. Leaftail then felt a sense of happiness. She now have an apprentice and she was only a young warrior!

"Curlpaw! Curlpaw!" The cheers from both clans could be heard. As the cheers subsided, Bramblewing padded closely to her and whispered, "Congratulations, Leaftail." Leaftail nodded gratitudely at him and felt a splash of warmth. Then she saw Ruthpelt and Waveleg sitting side by side cheering for her and felt a pang of irritation. Why must they be that obvious?

Greenstar then mewed, "We will start heading east again in about an hour. All cats can hunt and replenish their energy before we leave."

Curlpaw then bounded to Leaftail and said enthusiastly, "What should we do first?"

"Um... let's practice hunting and catch a few prey for the clans. Did Ivytail teach you how to hunt?" Leaftail said after thinking for a second.

"Ivytail did teach me how to hunt, why don't I show you?" Curlpaw suggested, flexing her claws. "I think I can catch a vole."

"Okay, Curlpaw. I think there's some prey there," Leaftail flicked her tail to some trees in the left. "Let's see how good you are."

Curlpaw nodded. They were about to head to the trees when someone behind them said, "Hey, where you two going?"

Leaftail and Curlpaw turned around and realised that the voice came from Ruthpelt.

Leaftail looked around before saying, "Where's 'you-know-who'? I saw you were with him a minute ago."

Ruthpelt's eyes wereclouded with feelings, but she said, "He went to a patrol." Leaftail nodded.

"Who's who?" Curlpaw asked curiously. She then stared at the two cats with determination eyes.

"Um... it's Brownfur," Ruthpelt quickly lied.

When Curlpaw narrowed her eyes with suspicion, Leaftail mewed, "Mind your own business" -to Ruthpelt- "We are going there to see how good Curlpaw is at hunting." She then pointed her tail at the direction of the trees.

"Can I come with you?" Ruthpelt then asked. "I really want to know what it's like to be a mentor!"

"OK..." Leaftail replied. "Come on , let's go."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ok, Curlpaw, do you smell any prey?" Leaftail asked as they arrived at the trees.

"I smell squirrel, and.... a hint of two-legs!" Curlpaw gasped.

Leaftail took in a deep breath and scent the faint scent of two-legs. "It's faint, not that it's a scent that is a long time ago, but the scent had drifted in the wind somewhere nearby."

"Correct. Curlpaw, good job in scenting it," Ruthpelt meowed Curlpaw's eyes glittered in pride. Then she looked at Leaftail and queried, "Should we follow the scent."

Leaftail thought for a while. Should she? Shouldn't she? Then she made up her mind. "Let's follow it. The two-legs might come and attack the other cats."

"Ok, Curlpaw, stay near behind us. I don't want you to get hurt," Ruthpelt responded. Leaftail felt a sense of uneasiness burning within her. Ruthpelt would had made a better mentor than me, she thought.

The three cats then followed the scent. As the scent grew stronger, they slowed down, their pelts blending into the surrounding rock and branches. After tracking for a while, the scent became unbearable, and the land ended. Right below them was many two-legs' nests- too many to count.

Leaftail felt her paws become soft and felt her heartbeat quickened. She unsheathed her claws and sank them into the soft soil. She looked at Ruthpelt and Curlpaw and saw that they were equally shocked.

"H-how could there be so many two-leg nests? And look beside them are so many thunderpaths!" Curlpaw spoke, her voice quivering. "What kind of place is this?"

"It's call a town," Ruthpelt explained. "The elders told me that the clans did live near a town before a long time ago, but I don't think that it was that big!"

"At least the clans are not going to pass by this, right, Leaftail and Ruthpelt?" Curlpaw stammered.

"You're wrong, Curlpaw. Wrong," Leaftail whispered. "Look at the sun. The town is east. And sooner or later the clans will need to cross this."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(If u didn't know, the town is actually the four clan's former territory!) :DD