Chapter 18

Blossompaw flicked open her eyes as the sun started to rise. At first, she was startled that she was not in the medicine den but eventually she remembered that it was the journey. She stretched herself and sat up.

During the journey, blood will spill blood, but leaf will save the clan. These words had haunted Blossompaw since she had received them. It was obvious that it meant that there will be danger during the journey. But what? Blossompaw really needed the answer.

Starclan, please stop the danger, Blossompaw begged silently but then remembered that Starclan only had the power to see the future, but not prevent it. Oh Starclan... she thought.

She then glanced through the place in time to see Littleclaw discussing stuff with Dropwhisker and the two Clan leaders and Deputy addressing patrols to hunt for food. The food that Hollypelt, Ivytail, and Brumblewing must had ran out, Blossompaw said to herself silently as the three warriors could only carry three magpies and a squirrel while Waterclan brought only five fish.

Heaving herself up, she padded to Littleclaw and greeting both of the medicine cats.

"Good morning, Blossompaw," Dropwhisker meowed while Littleclaw nodded. "We were just discussing about the herbs we had bought. It must had been Starclan's will that we bought different herbs, so there will be many different kinds of herbs."

Blossompaw let of a purr of relief. "That's good. If any cats get injured accidentally, we have the right herbs," she meowed, but she was actually relieved that there will be herbs when the danger in the prophecy comes.

"Yes, yes," Littleclaw said, then fixed his gaze at Blossompaw. "I'm going to see if there are any herbs here to replenish before we start traveling again."

Blossompaw nodded before the two cats padded off.

Blossompaw sighed. Since she was the only one who knew the prophecy, she felt that the survival of the two Clans were in her paws. It was a big burden to bear. Maybe... she thought, maybe... I should tell someone of the prophecy.

She blinked. But who should she tell? She glanced around, and saw on her left Squrrielpelt and Ferneye from Waterclan chatting while on her right Leaftail licking her paws with swift strokes, perhaps, after a hunt.

That it came to her! She must tell the prophecy to Leaftail! Who knows, the 'leaf' in the prophecy might just be Leaftail!

Blossompaw ran to Leaftail and sat beside her. Leaftail looked at her in shock. "B...blossompaw...?"

The medicine cat apprentice could not wait any longer. "Let's go to a secluded corner. Please."

"But why?" Leaftail started.

"I need to tell you something!" Blossompaw hissed angrily. Shocked, Leaftail followed her to a corner.

"I-I should have tell you this a long time ago," Blossompaw explained. "But when I went to the Moonpool to receive my apprentice name, I got a prophecy from Starclan. During the journey, blood will spill blood, and leaf will save the Clans." Blossompaw was surprised how the words flowed so smoothly.

Leaftail immediately understood what she meant. "You think... I could be the one in the prophecy? But saving the Clans...? And who is the 'blood' ?"

"I don't know... I don't know..." Blossompaw mumbled. Leaftail seemed to be about to say something but was interrupted by Greenstar's yowl. "Let all gather!"

Blossompaw hesitated before speaking, "We'll talk about it later, OK?"