Chapter 1

>Leaftail/paw pic is on the side

****6 moons later****

"Mother, are you finished yet?" Leafkit asked as Hollypelt's tongue rasped around her ears and down her neck.

"Stop asking, Leafkit," her mother scolded. "You can't go to your apprentice ceremony looking as if you have just fought with a badger!"

"As if she can fight with a badger!" Leafkit's sister, Blossomkit, taunted her. "I bet she can't even catch a small pitiful mouse!"

"Of course I can!" Leafkit replied back. "I can even fight with a twoleg!"

"Down, down dears. It's almost time for your apprentice ceremony," Hollypelt confronted the two kits.

Petalkit glanced over her shoulders from where she was crouched at the entrance to the nursery. "A lot of cats are gathering there already!" she reported, her voice quivering with excitement. "It seems like the whole clan will come and see us become apprentices!"

"It won't be long," the gentle voice came from Mouseclaw. Mouseclaw had been there when Leafkit and her littermates were born so Leafkit liked her very much. She also knew that Mouseclaw will never become a warrior; she stayed in the nursery to help each new queen with her kits.

Mouseclaw was now helping Sunpool with her three newborn kits: Bluekit, Curlkit and Fernkit. The kits were all toms and they were very adorable. Was I adorable when I was born? Leafkit asked herself whenever she looked at the three little, defendless kits.

"Are you coming to see us made apprentices?" Brownkit asked Sunpool and Mouseclaw.

"Of course," Sunpool and Mouseclaw replied together. "And I'll bring the kits too. They seems to be active enough," Sunpool added as she glanced at the three kits who were playing.

Leafkit let out a whoop of delight. "Hey, Blossomkit, who do you think will our mentor?" Blossomkit shrugged her shoulders and meowed, "I just hope that he or she will be very experienced and knows a lot about herbs."

"Why?" Leafkit asked back.

"Because I am always fascinated about herbs!" Blossomkit replied.

Before Leafkit could answer, Greenstar appeared beneath the tallest pine tree and his voice echoed through the whole Clan. "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey join here beneath the tallest pine tree for a clan meeting."

Leafkit's heart beated against her ribcage. I can't believe I'm going to be an apprentice today! She was about to bounce out into the clearing but was stopped by her mother's tail.

"Wait, your father is not here yet," Hollypelt meowed. "And I want you to walk out like a sensible apprentice and not a kit who doesn't know how to behave!"

Leafkit nodded her head, trying not to bounce up and down on excitement.

Finally, Grassclaw appeared at the entrance to the nursery, looking at his kits with proud eyes. "Come on, the clan is waiting for you," he told them.

Leafkit and her littermates sprang to their paws while Hollypelt came to join them. By this time, the whole of Plantclan had already gathered beneath the tallest pine tree. Leafkit felt many pairs of eyes looking at her as she padded out of the nursery beside her littermates with her father and mother following behind. She could see that Sunpool and her kits with Mouseclaw had just sat down outside the entrance.

Leafkit heart was palpitating as fast as a mouse's heart but she kept her face and tail held high.

"I have called you together for one of the most important ceremony in the life of a clan," Greenstar began."Leafkit, Blossomkit, Petalkit and Brownkit has reach their sixth moon and it's time for them to become apprentices." He beckoned the almost-apprentice with his tail. "Come forward." Leafkit immediately walked slowly forward.