Chapter 22

Leaftail was digging in to a finch when she saw Woodpool, Cinderleg, Flowerclaw, and Rosetail at the camp entrance pulling something. But she could not see what was it at her angle.

Just then, she saw Bubfeather padding through the four cats. She seemed to be looking at the thing which was being pulled and screamed.

"Ivytail is dead!"

Almost at once, all the cats in the area gathered. The mothers hid their kits behind them. Leaftail saw their eyes widened and heard gasps of shock. Logfur, who was Ivytail's mate, let out a faint gasp and fainted.

While Leaftail went forward, she saw Woodpool and Cinderleg running to where the two leaders were while Bubfeather and Tigerpool went to where the medicine cats were.

When Leaftail saw the body, her heart felt a pang of sadness -another cat dead! But she also felt a sense of insecure. Who was going to die-next?

Finally the two leaders came followed by the two deputies. Splashclaw, Mistfur and Grassclaw's eyes were clouded with sadness while Greenstar closed his eyes mournfully. The medicine cats came next. Littleclaw and Dropwhisker treated to Logfur while Blossompaw gave them poppy seeds. The three cats seemed to be ignoring the fact that Ivytail had been murdered but Leaftail could see they were suppressing their sadness- especially Blossompaw who was shivering slightly. Then Leaftail suddenly remembered Ivytail was Littleclaw's mother.

As the cats retreated to let space for the leaders and deputies to carefully look at Ivytail's body, Greenstar ordered Woodpool, Cinderleg, Rosetail and Flowerclaw forward and asked, "What happened?"

The three she-cats came forward and lowered their heads respectfully but Woodpool only nodded.

"I-I was hunting when I came across Ivytail's body in a berry bush, so I ran to Woodpool and took him there," Cinderleg explained, her voice shivering. "Woodpool told me to take Rosetail and Flowerclaw there and I did. Then we pulled the body here."

"And Ivytail was killed by a... cat," Woodpool growled. Many gasps could be heard. Leaftail felt her fur blistered.

"How do you know?" Mistfur queried.

"The claw marks at Ivytail's neck were not as deep as dogs claws and not as clumsy as badgers claws," Woodpool replied. "Ivytail's fatal wound was directed at her head, and the wound could only be made by a cat." He then faced the leaders and deputies with confident and.... was that suspicion in his eyes? Leaftail shook off the thought.

"So do you know who killed her?" Splashstar acquired. Woodpool shook his head but Leaftail thought she saw the way he shook his head seemed to suggest he was telling a lie.

"Well, maybe it was that kittypet who had killed her!" Birchpelt interrupted, directing his sight at Cinderleg.

Cinderleg's lip dropped and she stared at Birchpelt in disbelief. "I can't believe you dare to accuse me of-of such a crime!"

"You. Are. A. Kittypet." Birchpelt spat each word out. "Kittypets. Can't. Be. Loyal."

Leaftail felt her insides burning with rage. "She had proved her loyalty many times already!" she argued. She saw Cinderleg giving her a grateful look and smiled.

"Yeah! Remember she defended our clan fron rouges!" Brumblewing agreed.

"She is loyal. I still remember her training so hard to become an apprentice!" Mapletail, who was Cinderleg former mentor spoke loudly. More agreements could be heard.

"So, Birchpelt? Maybe you ate the unloyal one..." Woodpool growled. Birchpelt glared at him before retreating to a corner.

"Silence!" Greenstar yowled. "Nobody can say Birchpelt is not loyal unless he has evidence."