Chapter 6

Petalpaw's heart beated wildly against her ribcage as unknown scents flooded her mind- evil scents. Not far away, a cat mewed in agony. Petalpaw shivered. She glanced up at the dark sky, with no stars in sight. Petalpaw gulped. Only one place in the world that Starclan did not watch over- the dark forest.

Petalpaw sensed a cat dashed beside her; a cat that reeked of evil. She turned her head around and immediately spotted a black tom heading towards her, his eyes filled with hatred.

"W-who are you?" Petalpaw stammered nervously as she looked at the cat's cold, dark eyes.

"My name is Scourge," the cat started. "The former leader of Bloodclan."

"I died, and my clan is ruined," he continued. "You must be the next leader. I know your strengths and weaknesses. You are the best clan for the job."

"I...can actually lead a clan..?" Petalpaw asked.

"Yes. Meet the clan in three sunrises at dawn, before the Plantclan's cat wake up. Tell Bloodclan you're their leader and leave with them," Scourge meowed. "Meet them at the abandoned two-leg nest."

"Does this means that I have to abandon Plantclan, the clan I was born in?" Petalpaw asked, still unsure of what to do.

"Of course! You can do that, right?" Scourge confronted her. "Abandoning that pathetic clan is a piece of cake." Petalpaw nodded in agreement.

Before Petalpaw left the dark forest, she heard Scourge mewed," Yes! Bloodclan will survive! BLOODCLAN WILL SURVIVE!!!"

Petalpaw woke up in her den as a cat shook her forcefully.

"W-what?" she asked, startled.

"It's me, Leafpaw, you sleepyhead!," the cat said excitedly. "Come on! We're going with the hunting patrol!"

"Oh...okay," Petalpaw yawned. "Meet me outside in a minute. This cat needs to groom herself." Leafpaw nodded and went outside.

Petalpaw licked her pelt clean while she thought. Should I abandon my clan? Is this the right thing to do? Petalpaw shook her head. Of course it's the right thing, mouse-brain! Now quit it and go outside! Petalpaw heaved herself up and went to join the patrol.

Petalpaw spotted her mentor, Cinderleg, and Leafpaw with her mentor and plodded towards them, waving her tail at them.

"Leafpaw, Woodpool, Petalpaw, Cinderleg and Ivytail will be the hunting patrol," Grassclaw the deputy instructed. "Woodpool will lead it." The five cats nodded.

"Okay, let's go to the pine forest to hunt," Woodpool meowed to the hunting patrol. " I think there's a plentiful amount of prey there." Thus, the hunting patrol headed there.

"Bet I'll catch more prey than you!" Leafpaw boasted to Petalpaw on their way there.

"Yeah? Bring it on!" Petalpaw replied proudly. "I'm going to catch the biggest prey that even the elders will gasped at the sight of it!"

"Quit it!" Cinderleg scolded the two apprentices. "You're behaving like kits. One more of that and you'll get rid of fleas for the elders!"

"Sorry, Cinderleg."

"Yeah, sorry."

Kittypet warrior! Petalpaw thought angrily. Can't believe she's my mentor.

Finally, the patrol reached the pine forest, which was, of course, filled with pine trees- a great hiding place while stalking prey. Petalpaw immediately smelt a squirrel and began following the scent.

She finally caught sight of the fat and juicy-looking squirrel who was too busy eating acorns to notice her. Reminding herself to stalk against the direction of the wind, she began to stalk it.

At the last minute, Petalpaw, who was a tail-length away from the squirrel, dropped into a hunter's crouch and pounced. She landed directly at the squirrel and before the squirrel could flee, struck a killing blow at its throat. Petalpaw buried the squirrel to take later and went to find more prey.

Eventually, Petalpaw killed three squirrels and two rabbits. Proud of her successful hunt, she placed her fresh-kill on the fresh-kill pile and chose a rabbit to eat. While eating, Petalpaw noticed Leafpaw and Woodpool talking to each other and headed towards Greenstar's den. Shrugging her shoulders, Petalpaw continued to eat.