Chapter 20

Leaftail had just finished her squirrel with Dawnfur when it was almost sunhigh. She then told Dawnfur that she was going to chat with Ruthpelt. And if I have the time, I'll confront Blossompaw, she thought silently.

As she padded towards Ruthpelt, she glanced at the elders. They looked healthy and were sharing tongues to each other. Leaftail purred. At least the elders are not that grumpy to the enemy clan.

Then she was taken aback when she saw Ruthpelt sharing a rather plump rabbit with Waveleg. Was that Love in her eyes that I see? Leaftail thought.

She decided to let Ruthpelt finished her meal with Waveleg first. She then bounded to Brumblewing who was nearby cleaning himself.

"Hi Leaftail!" Brumblewing called as he saw Leaftail approach him.

Leaftail went out a loud purr as she sat beside him. "What do you think of the journey?" She queried.

"Bit tiring, but it's okay. Hope there are no foxes or badgers here though," Brumblewing replied, his cream-coloured pelt prickling with anxiety.

"Yeah, but the patrols the two leaders sends should be able to scent any foxes before it could attack us," Leaftail comforted him.

Brumblewing licked her paw and said, "Hope so." Then his voice dwindled, "Why did we have this journey? There is plenty of prey and no danger. "

"Well, it was Starclan who told us that we need to travel!" Leaftail retorted.

"But what if Starclan is wrong?" Brumblewing replied, his eyes narrowed with anxiety.

"Starclan is never wrong," Leaftail replied.

"What if they are this time? They are still cats."

"Are you doubting the powers of Starclan?" Leaftail growled, her neck fur blistering.

"Leaftail, calm down!" Brumblewing hissed angrily when several cats stared at them curiously, though as Leaftail could see, Ruthpelt was too engrossed with Waveleg.

"So I care!" Leaftail snarled before padding away from him, tail high, towards Ruthpelt.

When she was about to sit beside Ruthpelt, Ruthpelt stared at her and snapped, "Can't you see that I'm busy, mouse-brain?"

Leaftail's heart almost shattered. Ruthpelt had never insulted her before. It must be Waveleg! She glared at Waveleg, her lips curled into the beginning of a snarl, before padding away.

When she was a little far from the group of cats, she bumped into a fur of orange. It was Hollypelt.

"Mom..?" Leaftail stammered, not knowing what to say. It had been a while since she had spoken to her mother.

"Leaftail, dear, I see that something is bothering you," Hollypelt mewed, her voice wise. "Care to tell me your problems?"

"Oh mom! Ruthpelt insulted me for the first time! It's like, I have just lost her to that mangy Waveleg!" Leaftail blurted out. "What can I do?"

"She must have her reasons, Leaftail, and don't worry, we have lost beloved ones too," Hollypelt replied, licking Leaftail's ear.

Leaftail immediately thought of her sister, Petalpaw and tears whelmed up inside her eyes. She lowered her head and mumbled, "Don't mention her, please. It's too... sad."

As Hollypelt's pelt brushed her pelt, Leaftail sensed a deep feeling of motherly love, and wished that she was still a kit, her only problem was whether if she could go outside and play.

"All cats please gather! It's time to go!" The two cats tears the yowling from Splashstar.

"Congratulations for the role of leading the clans, dear," Hollypelt purred, before Leaftail padded to the front of the clans.