Chapter 15

Leaftail yawned as she blinked open her eyes. The rays of the sun was starting to shine into the den. She looked around and saw that only she and Ruthpelt were in there. Afraid to wake up her, Leaftail rolled around and started licking herself. "The last day here," she thought.

"Hey! Get off me, Leaftail!" an angry voice startled Leaftail. She immediately turned around and realised that she had rolled onto Ruthpelt's tail.

"Sorry!" Leaftail apologized and sat up. "Didn't see you there." Ruthpelt jabbed her ribs before sitting up, too.

"Hmm...maybe we should go out and see if Grassclaw had assigned us to a patrol," Ruthpelt suggested, flicking her tail at the entrance. Leaftail meowed her agreement before the two cats headed to the clearing where Grassclaw usually assigned patrols.

However, before they could reach the clearing, a voice called for them from the medicine cat den. It was Littleclaw's. "Ruthpelt? Leaftail? Could you come here?"

"Too bad we can't go to a patrol," Leaftail said to Ruthpelt before heading into the medicine cat den.

"Leaftail, Ruthpelt, I need you two to give the travelling herbs to the whole Clan with Blossompaw since you two are the youngest warriors and there are no new apprentices eventhough Sunpool's kits are nearly six moons old," Littleclaw instructed after the two had settled down. He then pushed about twenty leaves that were wrapped around some bitter-smelling herbs. Leaftail flinched at the smell.

"First each of you will take three of these," Littleclaw explained. "Then come back and get more."

"Ew, what's inside those leaves? Are we suppose to eat them or something?" Ruthpelt asked after sniffing the herbs. Littleclaw nudged Blossompaw to explain.

"Well, these herbs are actually Sorrel, Burnet, Comfrey and Thyme. They give you strength and you won't feel hungry for a long period of time," Blossompaw explained. "And yes, you're suppose to eat them. Eat them now before we give them to the other cats." He then pushed two leaves of the travelling herbs to Leaftail and Ruthpelt.

Leaftail's whiskers twitched in disgust before she took a bite. It tasted so bitter and horrible that she nearly choked them up.

"I-It's disgusting!" Leaftail meowed in disgust while licking her paw to get rid of the horrible taste. "Only mouse bile is worse than this... this... inedible thing!" Ruthpelt looked at her in horror and stammered,"I'm not going to eat that!"

"Don't be a kit!" Littleclaw growled. "Just gulp it down while not breathing! It should taste tasteless. I'm going to pick some herbd now." He then went out, tail twitching.

Reluctantly, Ruthpelt and Leaftail gulped down the herbs as fast as they could while not breathing.

"That was horrible even without breathing," Ruthpelt moaned. Leaftail nodded her head weakly.

"It's not that bad." Blossompaw's whiskers twitched in amusement. "OK, now let's give the herbs to the warriors first."

"The elders are so going to rip our pelts off," Ruthpelt whispered to Leaftail as she picked up three leaves of herbs with her mouths.Then, they headed to the warriors den.

Finally, they reached the warriors den. Leaftail could see Ivytail, Logfur, Mapletail and Stemleaf, the senior warriors, in there sharing tongues. Ivytail was sharing tongues with Logfur while Mapletail was meowing to Stemleaf.

"I'll give the herbs to my former mentor first," Ruthpelt meowed to Leaftail and Blossompaw before padding to Stemleaf. Leaftail and her sister nodded before plodding towards Ivytail and Logfur.