Surprises

Snow drifted down from the night sky as the line of homeless filed into the church. Ronald stood out front making sure everyone made it out of the cold. He volunteered at the church every weekend throughout the year so the homeless saw nothing strange about him being there tonight.

But, if they had only looked closer, they might have noticed something different about Ronald. There was something different in how long he would study his wristwatch. Or how he would stare over his shoulder down a deserted street like a child longing to leave.

As the last person walked through the entrance Ronald came up to the door. He gave the deserted road one last glance and saw something new, something bright. Far, far away a pair of headlights appeared, heading his way. Ronald smirked and moved inside, latching the door shut with a soft click.

The homeless had gathered in the sanctuary huddled in groups, murmuring. Most gave Ronald no notice as he drifted through the crowd, checking on everyone one at a time. Something was different though this year, something that people started noticing.

"Can we get some blankets?" a woman asked.

"Yes, they'll be coming. Just another couple minutes," Ronald replied off-hand, glancing at his watch from time to time.

His reassurances were short lived as more people recognized that even the church clergy weren't doing anything more than talking to folks. Something wasn't right, and they began to pressure Ronald.

Studying his wristwatch again, Ronald wondered if it was time. Time to do something different this year, time to do something more than he's ever done. Ronald crossed the last couple groups to stand at the altar, inside the pulpit.

He noted one woman from the church move towards the sound system and fiddle with it for a moment. When the woman looked up, she smiled, knowing what was to come. Ronald cleared his throat, and it echoed throughout the room.

Everyone turned to see who stood behind the pulpit.

"Everyone knows who I am, but I doubt many of you know me outside this church," Ronald began, "I built an online-based company and watched it grow for years. One month ago, I sold it and decided to use the money to give people a second chance at life."

Murmurs filled the sanctuary as Ronald eyed the door where red light flooded in from outside. Knowing the truck was here he continued, "I will give those that want a second chance housing and food in payment for building houses for other homeless and less fortunate people."

Men and women in uniforms began filing in carrying one large box each and passing them around as Ronald continued, "No matter what you decide, everyone will get a gift box of clothes, blankets, a week's stay in a hotel, plus more as a Christmas gift from me to you. Merry Christmas everyone!"