Wizards

Two very old wizards set out on a trek to reach the fabled city of Gardalan which was rumored to hold new wonders of magic. The journey was long and the road they traveled was rarely used and grown over. Neither paid it much mind as they talked about all the possibilities new magic brought. Little did they know that a different, well-traveled road lay just over a mile east.

The road came into a clearing where they were stopped by a stone wall. It was tall as four men and disappeared into the woods on either side. The wizards stared at the unexpected delay for a bit before Mortimer spoke.

"This wall is new. It's cleaner than the parts on either side which are mostly covered with moss. Do you think someone knew we would come and tried to impede our progress?" Mortimer asked.

"Very well could be," Francis answered as he tapped on the warm stone, "It's too solid and well-built to be a magical construct."

"Someone went through all this trouble to build an actual wall in our way? Who have we made enemies of?" Mortimer asked confused that they had any enemies at all.

"Let's get through and ask, shall we?" Francis smiled wildly as he held up one hand.

A fire ball half the size of a man tore through the air and hit the wall with a loud thud. After the smoke cleared they saw the wall still standing with only a large black spot to show for his effort.

After considerable thought Francis suggested, "Let's try doing both fire and ice so the stone will crack and crumble at our feet."

Both wizards squared off at the wall and alternated between Francis' fire and Mortimer's ice spells until they were exhausted. Once the smoke cleared the wall barely had a mark to show from their combined efforts.

"We need to eat and gather out strength," Francis breathed heavily, "Maybe there is another spell somewhere in our book that will work better against a stubborn wall."

Mortimer agreed and set about gathering wood while Francis prepared some of their last rations. After dinner was made they ate quietly as Francis poured over the book of spells they had written decades ago.

As dusk approached the wizards tried again to break down the wall. Dozens of spells were being thrown at it relentlessly but the wall was solidly built and withstood every attempt the wizards made.

Just out of sight for the old wizards five Gardalan city guards watched the spectacle.

"Captain, do you want to tell them there's an entrance a few hours walk from here?"

"Wait a bit longer soldier. Wizards are easier to deal with when they are recuperating. Afterwards we can find out why they insist on attacking the city walls."