Killer Read

The morning sun brought some hope and relief to everyone. George was determined to get the hell out of this campsite and back to civilization. We are never going to go camping for a vacation again. Hotels and resorts are the only places I'll even consider from now on, George thought as he packed up some water bottles and snacks for their escape.

"Daddy, are we leaving now?" April whispered.

"Yes honey we are," he turned to Bret and told him, "Get your bag and grab the flashlights and some rope. It was a long drive here and we're going to have to hike it all the way back."

"Do you think we can make it George?" Shelly asked shifting April's weight to her other hip.

"What other choice do we have? If we stay we get killed. If we leave then we have a chance," George replied slinging the pack around to rest on his shoulders.

The four of them stayed in a tight group as they left the campsite. Everything was the same as it had been yesterday. Campers and RV's were torn apart, burnt down, or on their sides.

To George everything seemed strange. There were no bodies or blood anywhere. Even the neighbor's dog had vanished. Just to be safe Shelly held April's head to her shoulder attempting to shield the five year old's mind from whatever else they might encounter.

It didn't take long for the group to find the main road out. As they passed the office where they had checked in a loud cackling echoed through the trees from behind. All four turned to see what was coming.

Nobody was there. Just a forest of trees with campers interspersed among them. Shelly dragged Bret along next to her as the three continued walking down the road. George walked backwards slowly keeping an eye out for anything.

"Mommy, what is that?" April asked pointing up the road.

George whipped around only to see a building on the right hand side of the road. Relief was short lived when he realized he didn't remember seeing another building on the way in.

"It's nothing honey," Shelly replied not wanting to cause panic to take root in her daughter.

"That's the office. How did we get turned around?" George asked knowing he was just looking at the campground not moments ago.

The buzzer sounded throughout the break room signifying lunch was over. Michelle closed the book and put it in her lunch box before stowing everything away.

"Why do you read all the time," a younger coworker asked as she put her lunchbox up too.

"Every break is a ten to thirty minute vacation from reality. I see enough of this job that I don't need to sit and stare at it during my breaks as well," she replied as they both walked through the door and back on the factory floor.