Heart of the Dragon Pt 1

Kyle sat next to the small fire he had built with a rabbit roasting over it. Every now and then he would glance up at the unadorned wood doors marking the entrance to the fabled vaults. So many thieves had come to plunder the treasure that the fire pit was still here fresh as it was hundreds of years ago when the rumors first began.

Mentally he was preparing himself for the dangers that lurked inside. Ghosts, giant spiders, and even a basilisk were told to be guarding the treasure inside. He knew he couldn't afford one mistake inside or wind up one of the thousands that never saw daylight again.

Snap

A small trap that Kyle had set around his campsite just went off. Quickly he jumped up and ducked into the nearby bushes. There he drew is dagger and waited for the trespasser to show themself.

A thin boy casually strolled into Kyle's camp like no stranger would. This boy had an arrogance about him that Kyle already didn't like. As the boy made his way around the campfire Kyle waited for the perfect time to ambush him.

With the boy's back to him Kyle jumped out and grabbed the boy by the throat while pressing the dagger against his back.

"Don't you know it's rude to wonder into someone's camp unannounced?" Kyle asked.

"I was sent by Master Arold to find you. I followed your trail but lost you over the mountains. I'm glad I found you," the boy said noticeably calmer than most folks with a dagger against him.

"Why would Master Arold send a boy to find me?" Kyle asked.

"I was sent because I was quicker at tailing people than anybody else in the guild and he wanted me to catch you before you entered the Labyrinth," the boy answered.

"You didn't answer my question," Kyle said pulling the boy in tighter.

"He gave me a message for you. Let me go so I can deliver it and be on my way," the boy commanded.

Knowing he must be high in the guild Kyle complied. As the boy adjusted himself Kyle sat down next to the fire to check on the rabbit.

"What's the message?" he asked rotating the rabbit so it didn't burn.

"Master Arold orders you to stop this foolish venture and return to the guild. He recognizes your ambition and promises a job that'll be very lucrative when you return," the boy replied.

"Is that all? A job if I return? That doesn't sound interesting to me at all with the treasures that are in store for me."

"If you don't return you will be kicked out of the guild," the boy stated flatly.

Kyle thought a moment before answering. The boy never saw the dagger leave Kyle's hand. He still had a dumbfounded look on his face as he fell to the ground with it sticking from his chest.

"Tell Master Arold I'll get my own jobs from now on," Kyle answered.