As the Sun Grows: The Escape

"Amanda!" Mike shouted from the cabin, "You've got to come hear this. The space shuttles have launched and one left most of the billionaires behind. Only the top officials and scientists managed to escape."

"Why did they launch so soon? The sun isn't going to be big enough to kill us for another month or so. It only began turning into a red giant less than a month ago," I asked walking to the cabin not really caring about the elite that planned on abandoning humanity on this dying rock.

"Tony's gang finally broke through the outer wall and killed the guards. There was nothing stopping him so it was either take off now or let Tony and his gang take over. The other space shuttles around the world were already stocked and ready from most reports."

"I was rooting for Tony to get that shuttle. Just because you have money doesn't mean it gives you the right to survive over someone else," I said hearing static from the radio.

The radio stations rarely stayed on air very long these days. They delivered their news and that was it. If you weren't around when they were on you missed it and then you had to rely on secondhand information.

"I'm with ya on that one. I bet those billionaires are wishing they would've moved on base instead of waiting in their mansions. Too late now huh?" Mike chuckled.

"I bet Tony will go after them next to get whatever goods they have stored," I said.

"I wouldn't be surprised if they were already there waging a battle on multiple fronts," Mike commented.

"True, let's finish processing this deer then head into town. Last time I was there more than a thousand people had shown up from Utah. Maybe they've got more news as well," I said leaving the cabin with Mike in tow.

I started cutting meat from the deer as he stood there quietly watching, "You're being quiet all of a sudden."

"I was just wondering why all those people came up here to Alaska. There's probably less stuff to survive on up here than down in the states," he explained.

"They're just trying to survive as long as they can and probably figured the colder climate would increase their odds of that happening. I don't blame them. I'd do the same thing if I didn't already live here," I admitted.

"Really?" Mike asked, "We're all going to die. There's no way around that so I think you should just find a nice view and wait for the end. Or end it yourself while enjoying that view instead of being slowly cooked to death."

"Not everyone has accepted death like you. They still see a reason to fight," I said beginning to argue. I stopped what I was doing and took a deep breath before continuing, "Are you still going to town with me tomorrow?"

"Sure, it could be fun seeing people from all over the continent. Could hear some cool stories before we die."