Funeral

Lying on soft white padding trimmed with lace my wife looks like she's fast asleep dreaming of wondrous things. I place my hand on hers like I've done countless times over the last sixty six years but her hand, now cold, didn't respond the way it used to. Tears watered my vision as I gripped her hand tighter hoping I would wake up soon and realize this is all just a nightmare.

I felt someone squeeze my shoulder gently so I looked to my right and saw our son Zachery standing next to me with water glistening in his own eyes. Before I could say anything I heard someone speak from my other side.

"Mom looks peaceful doesn't she?" a feminine voice asked.

Looking to my left I saw our daughter Rose holding a tissue to her now red nose. I couldn't think of a response that would comfort her so I just put one arm around each of our kids and looked at my wife. How could holding my children feel so real when nothing else about this nightmare did?

My mind drifted back to a scene of us lying together on our bed just a week or so ago. Danielle had been fighting cancer for only a short period of time but it had moved fast. She fought with every ounce of strength she had, which was considerable from such a strong willed woman.

Vaguely I saw parts of the room move across my vision and realized my daughter was leading me towards the front row seats they always reserved for family. As I sat down my surroundings began to come into focus more and I saw Danielle's face just above the edge of a silver casket surrounded by flowers.

Next to her was the podium where a man in a black suit began to talk. The words were foggy but I knew from past experiences that the pastor had begun the eulogy. I knew he would say how wonderful of a person she was and maybe even tell a version of her life's story. He would never hit close to the mark of how amazing that woman was.

I held no interest to hear his version of things no I let my eyes gloss over so that only Danielle's face was left in my vision. My mind started where it had left off before being interrupted.

My wife decided to live out the rest of her life in our own house and in our own bed. She wanted to be surrounded by the home she had made and the people she loved. A couple weeks ago Danielle had grown too weak to get out of bed so I stayed by her side to help however I could.