Review #19: Across Acheron

Status: Completed

**Note to reader: this review is about a book that contains homosexual material and foul language. The author warns about it in the description. Do not read the book to spread hate about the homosexuality. You can state your opinion on the review respectfully, without hating on it. Your opinions are always welcomed; however, you should express them with maturity**

It’s funny how an inspiration can be represented in variant ways. Every great writer has a theme that he/she wants to spread to an audience, but each has a different way to show it.

From the books that I reviewed, I’ve come across two writers who are against how teenagers display the male gender, one of which is the writer of My Name Is Raquel and Illegal, the other is the writer of Once Upon a Wednesday. Now, I add to those two, the writer of Across Acheron: Sepherene.

“The idea of Jack sprang up since I was kind of pissed with how teen girls on Wattpad perceive the male mind as something… I don’t know … alien like? They give them such a basic personality of ‘I’m a tough guy’ and I just wanted to venture from that.”

Jack, the main character, is the total opposite of how guys are described. He’s weak, really weak, yet strong at the same time. How? The only way you would understand is by reading the story by yourself.  However, he’s not dramatic. Unlike in the unique story of River and Lea, Sepherene doesn’t express Jack as the guy who would constantly and dramatically remind himself not cry; e.g. : don’t cry, don’t cry, don’t cry … or any of that sort.

 Adding to that, it’s not a romantic story. Yes it does include couple of scenes, but all in all, it is far from romantic.It really is refreshing to read such a story, and I am not talking about the genres. There are loads of books that aren’t romantic or so. However, it’s rare to find one with such a topic, about faes and folks.

The story itself shows a high level of maturity. I felt the urge to ask the writer about her age to compare it with her capability to write this way. As I told her, one can mistake her for a professional/experienced author. Yes, we do know writers her age who show such development, but her content is totally different as I stated before.

However, that’s only a small part of the story. I love the point of view shown.  The main character is the narrator, but he’s telling his story to a shrink. This explains the reason that it has “foul language”; it is obvious that an “insane” man is telling his story, which is something I admired. It kept it genuine. Consequently, the chapters are actually “sessions”. There are few chapters that show “psychiatric progress”. The entire thing is perfect, from general to details. We can say Sepherene has done her research well.

I’d like to finalize this review with my three favorite quotes from the book, and that serves to prove the depth contained in Across Acheron. Therefore, I will not be explaining each and that is because I blabbered too much already.

“The perils of the young are overlooked; they are left to die as they mourn scornfully at the hell they call their lives”

“It was more because I wanted to, rather, and sometimes wanting things kills more than needing them.”

“You see, when humans die, we don’t get to keep the stuff we managed to obtain. I’m sure you know that. So some rich bastard may have all the cars, houses, and sluts his goddamn money could buy, but none of that is coming with him when he goes six feet under.”

Thank you xx