Review #7: The Boxer and I

*Status: Ongoing*

“The Boxer and I” isn’t a sequel to “Mr. Popular and I”, however, it’s related to it. I have got to admit though I find it better than MPAI; which I previously reviewed. If you read the criticism, you would simply know my opinion. Shockingly, or so you might think, I liked The Boxer and I.

On contrary to the other book, it is quite interesting in many ways. I think it’s the different point of view that’s being used and the new character. Plus, the ideas are clear and well said.

I think the characters play a role in it… well, maybe? Like in MPAI River’s P.O.V wasn’t totally spot on; it was pretty obvious that a girl was writing it. And Lea’s was confusing, like once she is something and another she is something else; the descriptions weren’t stable. In addition to the bad-boy-good-girl romance thing, which is as I described previously, was cliché. On the other hand, the idea of TBAI was not expected. I liked the story line and the events and characters are different and less dramatic.

I did find some details unnecessary, for example when she states every single step (e.g.: with my head resting against a flat pillow covering one armrest of the three-seater couch, and my legs crossed over the armrest on the other side, I outstretch my arms and tense my leg muscles, releasing a long yawn.). It’s nice to describe something, but just not as much; then perhaps I wouldn’t feel guilty of skipping the excessive details.

Personally, I thought the first part was a bit of a spoiler for what’s coming. I’d be taken by total surprise is the story continued the way it is, reaching what’s said in the first part, as events escalate normally; not too fast like falling in love in 2 days, nor too slow like taking a lot of chapters for only 2 days.

However, great job so far. I am actually waiting for an update for TBAI; I want to know the journey of how they reach that point in the story. Don’t add too much details and I hope there’ll be plot twists in the story (realistic ones of course). Update soon (:

Thank you xx