Review #15: Woman

Review #15: Woman

*Status: Ongoing*

Books serve variable causes; some entertain, some just pass the time, some are funny (purposely or not), some are of great purpose/morals, some are just beautiful, and some are a combination of all that’s captivating.

“I do read!1!1” some people might exclaim when accused of not having enough reading experiences. What is the difference between normal books and e-books? Did that question occur to you? I, myself, have got to admit that I hated reading online. If people asked me why, my answer would be simply this:  “When I read a book, it’s perfect; it’s literature, it’s of a greater purpose. The book delivers the theme perfectly and flawlessly. Not to mention the feel of the book, as you flip through its pages and mark where you reached…”  It’s different. Now of course, I add to that: it’s completed.

However, that’s not mainly an issue. In fact, that’s the only issue about this book: the late updates. I contacted the writer and she said that she is having troubles with her laptop and she wants to update sooner but she can’t.

You know that feeling you get when you love something/someone so much that you are willing to give up your ideals because you are just in love with everything about it/them? That’s the case of my experience while reading Woman. I just couldn’t let the phone down. I literally stayed up all night just so that I finish it at once, and so I did (until now; I’m just waiting for the updates).

“A year later I married a man and became the woman my father always wanted me to be.

A strong woman. Confident woman. Independent woman. Terrified woman. Weak woman. A woman putting up a façade.”

Her father didn’t want a girl, she explained. And when she grew up a bit, he got her involved in too many sports; she was the tomboy in her family. The book expresses social demoralizations that have been in societies since time immemorial. It talks about real life problems, and not those exaggerated stories that you might come across. It doesn’t jam up all life’s cruelty in one person’s life. It doesn’t attract your petty; it attracts your interest and respect. How so? Basically, as you read, you may relate to a character at points, having full interest in how their lives will maneuver. As or respect, you respect the writer’s methods and style.

Verbal and physical abuse, losing a loved one, fighting an illness, inner strength… It involves all of those and more (note that it is not crowded into one character’s life). You’re reading a life and not just a book. You’re living that life with them.

Woman was the first book I came across in my recent join to Wattpad. I didn’t take notice of all what I cared about in reading a real book because how she wrote it made it feel like one. Of course it didn’t have the “flipping through its pages and marking where you reached”, nor did it have the experience of fear on whether you broke its spine or not or keeping it in your dresser/bookshelf/drawer … no. It was too beautiful for you to even pay attention to what you’re missing on.

Thank you, xx