28

Lexi's POV:

Waking up after the night Evan and I had is dreadful, but we manage. She tossed and turned for the better part of the night, the reason for that being totally obvious.

She gets out of bed and starts getting ready, and she urges me to do the same. I refuse, knowing something she doesn't.

"Baby, you have yo get up. You're going to be late." She tosses a pillow at me and I giggle quietly.

"Stop. I'm not going to work today." I inform.

"Funny, Lex." She turns her back to walk away, but I speak again.

"I took the day off, said it was for a personal matter. I called the sitter you hired and waved her off too. I'm staying here and watch the kids." I prop my arms behind my head and she slowly faces me, shaking her head.

"I'm going to beat your ass."

I laugh, "thanks for the warning at least."

Evan pouts, "why?! Lex, I told you-"

"You told me not to come to court with you. So, I call this compromise." I shrug.

Her green eyes roll and I smirk, "go get dressed, I'll keep the bed warm."

She walks away with her middle finger up, closing the bathroom door behind her.

I guess I dozed off, because when I wake up - for the second time- Evan is leaning over the bed, dressed and ready to go.

"I'm leaving. Kids are out cold. I left money on the counter for breakfast." She whispers.

I groan and reach up, grabbing her jaw and pulling her down to me. "I love you. Call me when you get there, and when it's done."

She pecks my lips quickly and leaves me with the taste of her lipgloss. As her steps near the door, I call out to her once more.

"Ev?" She glances over her shoulder at me. "Just breathe. You've got this, and it's all going to be okay."

* * *

Evan's POV:

My palms sweat profusely as we sit in the courtroom. Richard sits by my side, and Scott and two of his lawyers sit to our left.

The shiner I gave him a couple of days ago is looking ripe, and he keeps giving me the nastiest glares. Lanie isn't present, which doesn't surprise me. No way she could show up here with the marks she has and actually help Scott's case.

The procedures begin, and I do a lot of listening for a first few minutes. Richard talks a lot, and he speaks well. Thank you, Mia.

Once Richard gets done, Scott's lawyers pipe up and are just plain rude. Scott sits back, looking totally unbothered by the entire situation. I find myself holding my breath, waiting to see what is going to happen next.

Once I explained the situation that unfolded on Friday evening to Richard, he too advised that it not be brought up unless absolutely necessary. He explained that it would complicated things to some degree, and that usually those things don't hold up in court because it is essentially his word against mine.

But, things in the courtroom heat up when Scott's lawyers bring up a topic of interest.

"Your honor, the marks present only client's face tell enough of a story. Evan Johnson is a violent individual who has no right to raise children." The lie rolls off his tongue so well, so cool. You can tell he is comfortable lying like this.