15

Lexi's POV:

Friday

I walk into the apartment happy and smiling. It's been a good day, Mia and I are pretty much back on track, and I have a nice weekend ahead of me. Mia and I booked an air bnb near some winery, so we are going to have a nice "couple" weekend getaway... it's much needed.

"I'm home." I call out, putting my things on the table.

"Hey." I hear Mia's voice as she rounds the corner, looking tired.

"How was your day?" I ask her, wrapping her in a tight hug and pressing my lips to her forehead.

She squeezes me back and sighs, "it was fine... do you have a sec before you go over to Evan's?" She asks me.

I raise my brows, "uh, yeah. I'm not leaving for another hour and a half, what's up?" I ask her.

She bites her lip and grabs my hand, sitting me down on our couch.

My body instantly heats up, feeling all kinds of pressure and tension wrapping around me. What is she about to say?

"You're freaking me out, babe. What is it?" I laugh.

She looks at me with glossy eyes and I watch her lip start to tremble. "Lexi..."

"What?!" I ask, using my thumb to wipe the newly-fallen tear.

"I-" she takes a deep breath. "I've been thinking a lot this week. About us, about... Evan." She admits.

My eyes roll, thinking this is absolutely ridiculous that we are going through this again.

If anything, I've become even more transparent about my relationship with Evan over the past four days. I told her I was going to Evan's tonight for dinner, and I fill her in on pretty much every conversation I have with Evan at work. I literally tell her everything I can think of.

"Mia- again? I told you there is nothing going on. Why is that so hard for you to-"

"Please, just let me talk." She begs.

I quiet down and Mia wipes her cheeks, "I've been thinking about it all week. I know you're telling me the truth about the relationship you two have. I believe you 100%. But... I just- I see it in your eyes, Lexi. I hear it in the way you talk about her."

I laugh nervously, thinking this is some kind of joke. "What do you see in my eyes, Mia?"

"No matter what I do or say, I will never be her, you know that... don't you?"

My brows furrow and I find myself pulling away from Mia's grip. "This is insane-"

She grabs my hand again, "Lexi, I love you. I care about you so much, and for that reason alone I want you to be happy. When you talk about Evan your eyes light up. You've never looked at me in that way... I think it's because you still love her, Lexi. You clearly still feel something for her."

My head spins at the words coming out of her mouth. No words escape my lips for several seconds. I feel my face heat up, my breathing gets heavy, and my cheeks grow wet with unsolicited tears. "Mia, I don't know what you're talking-" my voice cracks and I stop talking, looking right into Mia's eyes.

She nods her head slowly and allows herself to cry a bit as well. She slowly pulls me into her embrace and I just hold her, still not sure what emotion I am experiencing right now.

The longer I hold Mia, the more frequently tears slip from my ducts. I eventually find myself in a near inconsolable state, gasping for a decent breath with Mia's hand running through my hair.