14

Evan's POV

I fight tears of my own as I listen to both of my daughters cry and beg me not to make them exit the car in the driveway of Scott and Lanie's house. Mason starts to cry too in the midst of the madness, and it nearly breaks me. My lip quivers a bit, but my sadness turns to rage when Scott taps my window.

"Sit tight. Don't cry, okay?" I say, squeezing Ava's knee as I push the door open and get out.

My arms immediately fold over my chest and a smug look crosses Scott's face. "Crying hard this time, I see."

"How can you do this to them?" I ask.

"Do what? Give them a nice home..." he mutters, motioning behind him. "Giving then access to the best private school around, providing them with everything they could ever want and need?" His smart ass tone sends me over the edge.

"Fuck you, you piece of shit." I smile. "I am taking my kids back if it is the last thing I do, Scott. They hate it here. They're going to end up hating you if you keep this shit up. You can give them all the materialist things in the world, but money isn't everything, Scott. I thought one day you'd realize that, but clearly I was wrong. It's going to bite you in the ass... hard." I point out. "But it's fine. Because I'll be here to catch all three of them, and then you and your skank of a wife can go off and take as many luxurious vacations as you want without a care in the world. I just pray that you two never have kids, because it would be really unfortunate for any more kids to be subjected to your bullshit and to have you as a father."

He gives a pathetic laugh, "yeah? Fuck you, Evan."

I smirk as I open the door, "mm, I'm sure you'd love to. You're good at cheating on your wife, isn't that right?"

"I only cheat on the lousy ones." He growls as all three kids pile out of the backseat.

The girls look at him with their pitiful, red, swollen eyes and he is completely insensitive. "Get in the house." He hisses.

Ava instantly starts crying again and clings to my leg. I put my hand on the back of her head and hold her against me, trying to keep it together for everyone's sake.

I take a breath and kneel down, "I'm sorry, baby. I promise this week is going to go by super fast and then I'll come pick you up."

She shakes her head and tries to wipe her eyes, "I don't want to go with him, mama." She whispers and quickly wraps her arms around my neck, squeezing me tight.

This solicits a couple of tears from me. I hold my daughter as she sobs on my shoulder, and Grace soon follows the lead of her sister. Mason stands, watching. He looks so confused and lost. The poor kid shouldn't have to deal with any of this. None of us should.

"Baby? What's going on?" Lanie's voice comes out of the garage and Scott huffs and puffs, rolling his eyes.

"Evan won't let them come inside." He lies.

I laugh and let go of Ava's body, but she remains wrapped around me. I shoot him a displeased glare. He knows that this is all them. I'm not forcing them to pretend that they love me.

"Girls, come on! I'm making dinner." Lanie cheers, ruffling Grace's hair.

"Give us a damn minute. God." I hiss, talking to the married couple. 

I receive a filthy glare as the two walk away, but I manage to subside my anger and pry my daughter's arms from me.

"I need all three of you to look at me." I sigh. I hold their hands tight, "I need you guys to behave this week, and I really need you to call me every night, okay? I pinky promise that I am coming to get you on Friday."