4

Lexi's POV:

I may have slightly underestimated just how much teaching takes out of a person. I knew it would be a lot of work, but I am emotionally exhausted. Maybe it's just because my students and I aren't all that far off in age, but I feel like I have to come in on my toes every single day and prove myself to these students.

Whether it's them speaking over me, not paying attention in class, or not doing the assignments... they are the most defiant group of high schoolers I have ever encountered. That's saying a lot considering I used to be one of those defiant high schoolers.

"I've asked you twice to put the phone away." I scoff, approaching one of the male students. I hold out my palm and he laughs in my face. "Give me the phone, please."

"Ha, you've got me messed up." He grins. "I ain't giving you my phone, dude."

"I am not your dude. I am your teacher. Give me the phone or it's a write-up." I threaten, trying desperately to hold my ground.

"Fuck off, man." He groans turning his back to me.

I stand before him, dumbfounded. My lip starts to tremble at my lack of authority.

"Woah, okay." A voice says from the door. "I know I didn't hear that correctly, Mr. Palmer. Because if I did, you'd be in some serious trouble." Evan's much more stern voice grabs the attention of the disobedient student very quickly.

"I- I was just-" the frightened teen stutter and stumbles over his words and I chomp down on my cheek, still feeling uneasy and disrespected.

"You were just.... marching down to the suspension classroom for the rest of the week? Sounds about right." Evan nods, clearly having a lot of respect from majority of the students here.

The student stands and heads towards the door, but Evan stops him with her arm. "Nu-uh. Phone." She demands.

The teen boy's shoulders drop and he groans, pulling the device from his pocket. "Here."

"It's not for me. This isn't my class..." Evan reminds him, the entire class and myself watching her in awe.

The highly annoyed boy brings me his phone and drops it angrily into my hand before finally leaving the room.

I nod my head slowly and glance at Evan, unable to say what I am thinking due to the audience of nosy teens. "Back to work" are the only words I can utter out, and not one student offers to defy that order now that Evan has set them straight.

It's not hard to see why they listen to Evan and not me. Number one, Evan is hot... and very intimidating when she chooses to be. Number two, Evan is significantly older than any of them, whereas I only have them by a small number of years. Number three, Evan is damn good at her job.

I remember when I had run-ins with Evan throughout high school she scared the hell out of me. I always had respect for her, even before our relationship took the turn that it did.

The class finally ends about forty minutes later, thank god. When the last student leaves the room I lay my head down on the desk, burying my face deep in my arms and sighing.

"It wasn't that bad..." I hear her voice and quickly pick up my head. "You know they can smell fear, right?" She teases, entering my classroom.

I lean back in my chair and put my arms behind my head, "I'm dripping with it."

The side of her mouth curls a bit and she leans against one of the empty desks in the front row.

"Thank you for... controlling that." I sigh. She nods slowly. "Although I am starting to think that all you do around here is lurk in the hallway." I tease.