Prologue

When I was eight, my older brother turned eighteen and went to celebrate with his friends.I remember being so angry with him because he didn’t invite me to go. In return, I destroyed a good luck charm he made me. I did not regret it then but the next day, when he did not return home, I blamed his disappearance on my action. Max had been my best friend. We did everything together exceptthat night. He went missing and I felt as if I could have prevented this somehow if I had been with him.

Flashback

Max, eighteen, black hair, light brown eyes, and a sweet smile. My big brother, who tickled the eight-year old me on the couch in the living room. He was wearing blue jeans and a metallic-shirt while his hair was in a mess.

"Come on, don't be mad,” Max said while giving me the and puppy dog eyes.

                "No!" I said, looking away from his pouting face.

"Annie, please, pretty please with a cherry on top?" I just shook my head to this.

                "I said no!"

"P-p-p-please Annie!" I tried to hide the smile. "I saw that smile Annie,” Maxs says, releasing me from his tickle attack. Max walked into the kitchen.

"I'm still mad at you. I only smiled because you quoted my favorite movie, you dork head!" I yelled toward the kitchen.

"I got you to smile and say more than four words to me, so I win!" He came walking back in and sat next to me on the couch.

"No, you cheated, you used Roger Rabbit against me, and you know I always laugh at that."

"Annie, I would take you with me if I could, but I can’t, it's not safe and we're going to be out really late. And there won't be a way back when you get tired." I was still upset and not letting him get off that easy.

"Oh," I pouted and debated whether to cross my arms to highlight it. "I still want to go."

                "I know, but how about I make you a special promise?"

"What?" I was slightly intrigued.

"Tomorrow I will take you out, wherever you want to go and I will spend the entire day with you." He smiled his impossibly charming smile and I folded.

"Fine," I said while he hugged me and kissed my forehead.

"And on your eighteenth birthday, I promise you a present that will blow your mind and you will forget all about this day." With that, he stood and walked away.

That was the last time I ever saw my brother. My best friend just walked out of the house and never returned. When our parents awoke the next morning to find he had not come home, they started calling the friends he went out with. Everyone said he left early and went home. We called the police, and there had been a missing person search, but after a months of nothing, they called it off expressing their condolences to us. He just vanished without a trace, leaving me heartbroken. I never got to spend my day with him like he promised; he left me here all alone.