Rooftop

"So, you and my brother." I said after a long, uncomfortable silence and she just laughed and nodded her head, blushing a little.

"Yeah, I guess." her blush deepening "are you mad?" she looked up a little scared.

"What? Macy, I'm not mad, why would I be?” I looked at her confused and a little hurt by her words.

"I don't know, I guess I was just worried since you were so unhappy here you would be mad at Max for bringing me as well," she said while picking at the edge of her dress avoiding my eye contact.

"Does he make you happy?" I asked. She smiled and nodded.

"Then that is all that matters if you're happy and my brother is the one that makes you happy then, " we hugged and she smiled.

"Thanks Annie" she smiled and wiped away a small tear that had fallen.

"So what actually happened on my birthday?" I asked. Macy rolled her eyes while laughing.

"Well basically after you took off into the woods I followed a second after in the same directions hoping I could catch up with you, but I tripped and Max caught me. I screamed my head off because he was able to appear in front of me. Anyway he covered my mouth to stop me from screaming and told me that he was going to bite me and it was going to hurt at first, but said he was not going to kill me. He told me that I just needed sleep that in the morning he would explain everything to me. He bit me, and I woke up in this room to loud music blasting,” she smacked my arm as I smiled, "a few minutes later Max came in and told me that we were mates like you and Luke. I honestly didn't believe him at first, but I felt this strange need and want around him and when he touched me it was as if I was touching something very hot," she looked at her hands questioningly, "I didn't understand, because I thought he was trying to hurt me, but I realized that there was no pain, and I started liking it. Like when he would hug me, I just wanted to fall asleep forever, in the warmth and safety of his arms." she laughed as a blushed reddened her cheeks. "I guess I don't really need to tell you about that kind of stuff, you already know?" she said

"Yeah" I said a little forcefully.

What she said had me think about when Luke would touch me, and the burning sensation that I felt. I have to say, it never really felt good, well except when we drink it did feel nice, but that's not the point. Every time he would touch me I had always felt angry and anger as that feeling radiated out from where our skin made contact. But what Macy said had me wondering, if I had misinterpreted what I was feeling. I didn't really think my emotions were wrong, as I thought about the other night when he held me after the needle incident. I did feel the warmth and safety she talked about, but I feel as if I would feel that with anybody that got me away from the needle. Macy was still going on about Max and how he treated her, and I could see the pure presence of love and happiness that was just pouring out of her. It reminded me of the way Josh and Susan, Bobby and Mickey, even the King and Queen all acted. I felt a little twist in my heart, as I thought what it would be like to have a love like that. I know I love Joel, but I don’t think I ever had that glowing quality with our relationship, but we were close.

After a few hours of gossiping and talking about her wedding, and talking about everyone she met as well as her position. Which I guess is second under my place, so if something were to happen to me or Luke, she and Max would take over and become the King and Queen. It was like a weight taken off my shoulders to find out Macy was safe and happy.

I was eventually forced out of her room by Mary Bell and Macy’s maid, whose name I could not remember, because we had to get ready for a party on the roof that was basically a conjoined bachelor and bachelorette party. Personally I did not like this idea, but it is not my wedding so I had no say in that matter. I laid on my bed wondering who was going tonight, obviously Macy, Max, Luke and I, but I hoped the others would be there and how long it was going to be. The wedding was tomorrow so we’re not going to do anything crazy, but I guess it would be like that poker party I went to. I decided not to try to seduce Luke this time because it failed miserably last time to say the least.

I heard a knock on my door after I changed for the party, while I was just relaxing on my bed thinking about the day. It hurts a little to think they did not want to tell me because they thought I would be upset. It made me think that they really did not know me and hurt because Macy was my best friend and Max was my brother, yes they pissed me off from time to time, yet I still loved them. I heard the knock on my door and went to open it, but that is when I noticed this was the first time someone did not just barge into my room without asking. I also noticed the doors unlocked and I finally opened it, yet I was in a kind of shock because the person didn’t just barge in, and I ended up just looking at the door. After staring at the door for a short time, I hear someone clear their throat and I looked over to see Luke in the doorway looking at me strangly.

"Are you okay?" he questioned.

I felt unsure myself, because I had stared at the door, lost in my own thoughts.

"Yeah, why wouldn’t I be?" I said trying to play it cool and act like I didn’t space out staring at the door for an eternity.

"Are you sure? You seemed deep thought while looking at the door," Luke said hesitantly. I shook my head trying to ignore him.

"I’m fine, just leave it alone!" I snapped at him, and he shrugged

"Fine. We should go, because everyone is there already and waiting on us" he said and started walking down the hall toward his room, and he was walking so fast, I had to run to catch up.

I followed him through the doorway at the end of the hall that led to a stairwell and I stopped. This is how they most have gotten in front of me when I tried to run. I’ll store that information for future knowledge or if I try to escape again. I quickly went up the stairs after I realized that I had been standing there daydreaming again. Luke stood at the top of the steps leaning on the railing as I reached the top.

"What were you doing?" he asked, looking bored

"Nothing," I snapped, walking toward the door, but stopped when Luke grabbed my arm and pulled me back.

"I want to talk to you before we go outside." He said. I rolled my eyes

"Talk now, and make it quick," I said, as he let me go to step closer to the door

"Never mind, it’s not important, let’s just go to the party," he said as he walked through the door and walked out of the stairwell as I followed closely behind him.

When I walked outside I saw just four couches surrounding a fire pit, a small bar where I could see Macy, Mickey, and Susan all sitting around chatting with their drinks in hand. Off to the side I could see a table where Max, Bobby, and Josh sat playing cards. At least there was not a lot of people I would have to pretend for here. As I started walking over to the girls I felt a hand grab my wrist, I knew it was Luke as I stopped and glared at him.

"Don't drink too much, I do not want a repeat of the last time," he said. I rolled my eyes as he let me go, walked over to the guys, and sat down.

"Annie, what took you so long?" I hear a tipsy Macy shout as I walked over.

"Oh you know I had to be late," I said sarcastically. "I need a drink!"

We all started drinking again and laughing in our world as soon we were together everything just faded into the background. I was happily chatting away when I got the distinct feeling of being watched. I snapped out of my drunken haze and looked over at the boys and Luke was sitting there giving me a disappointed look. I mouthed 'What' to him, but he just shook his head and went back to playing his card game. I just did not understand why he always had to put me in a bad mood when I was having fun. As we sat around the fire talking about girly things when the door to the stairwell opened and Leah walked out and stood there, as she struck a pose in what she considered sexy, while staring openly at Luke. A scoff came from Mickey and I had to stop myself from doing the same.

"Macy why did you invite her?" Mickey asked in an annoyed tone.

"I didn’t want to, Max said I had to. Something to do with reputation, blah, blah, blah stuff.” They growled as she walked over to the card table and sat on Luke’s lap, I watched as nothing happened. He didn’t even push her off when she wrapped her arm around him, I looked away not wanting to watch anymore so I went back to listening to the conversation, but still I could not get the image of them together out of my head.

"I can't wait tell she finds her mate, and hopefully stops acting like a hooker," said Macy, and the girls laughed loudly.

"I just don’t get it, why she keeps at it, her mother failed, her mother’s mother failed. They all failed to get the crown back." Susan said as she downed another glass of champagne, and my heart twisted a bit in my chest.

I kind of zoned out of the conversation, and my brain kept thinking about Luke and Leah. My eyes drifted in their directions hundreds of times as I watched them talk, laugh and touch one another. As my voice kept replaying in my head, 'I don’t want him, you can have him.’ What worried me was the thought that I could not focus on anything but what Luke and Leah were doing. It drove me crazy every time they laughed, and I was just dying to know what they were talking about.