Odd Sight

I was not expecting this. Don't get me wrong, we never talked about it or anything, but we did mention that we were going to be together forever. All I could do was smile as tears of joy fell from my dark-green eyes. I was barely able to speak. I was so happy and shocked, so I repeatedly nodded yes. He picked me up and held me close.

"Thank you so much," he said, kissing me over and over like there was no tomorrow. We finally broke apart when we heard his father clearing his throat loudly. His parents were smiling a similar smile to Joel's. His mother burst into tears and rushed to me.

"Oh darling, I knew you would say yes." She started to wipe my tears as we look to see Joel and his father shaking hands. He walked back over to me and picked me up once more, and I allowed myself to wrap my legs around him. He kept smiling at me.

"I love you so much Annie." And I didn’t doubt it.

                "I love you too." I meant what I had said.

"Well, I think it's time you tell your parents Annie." We both look to Joel's parents as they held each other lovingly.

"They're right, I never asked for their permission. I was just so scared that they'd say no or did say yes but spilled the beans before I got to ask you." I kissed Joel after he finished the sentence.

"I'll head over there now, why don't you get changed for later when we meet up with everyone, and I'll prepare them with the great news?" I asked and Joel kissed me once more.

"You are so wonderful, what did I do to deserve you?" All I wanted him to do was take me upstairs and let him have his way.

"Go. I'll see you in a few." I kissed him again, but we are interrupted by his parents, who obviously had seen enough.

"Okay, that's enough, you two will just stand there kissing each other the whole night if you could. Now get a move on." Joel’s mother burst out laughing after saying this.

He walked me out to my car, kissing me the entire way until he said that he needed to leave, otherwise we would be caught by his parents doing unthinkable things in the back of the car.

As I drove away I dialed Macy’s phone, announcing the news. Her response had been to burst into non-stop joyful screaming lasting the entire journey back to my house. Joel didn’t tell her his intentions because he knew she could never keep a secret like this from me. When I finally arrived I was crying with joy again. Macy was now super excited that she is going to be my maid-of-honor. She could not wait to start planning my wedding, and even wanted to come over tonight to begin.

In my driveway sat a really nice black sports car, which made my head spin. My parents were not rich but we weren’t poor, we were just good and average according the current economy. But this car was obviously expensive, and way out of my parent's price range. Plus, they would never buy me a new car just for my birthday no matter how much money they had.

I locked my car and started heading to the front door, imagining the possibilities of why the car was there. It was pretty dark by this time. I fumbled with the keys as I tried to put it into the lock. I got them in, but sometimes the door sticks, and I don't know why. Tonight it happened and I had to push kind of hard before the door opened. I stumbled in, my phone and keys falling to the ground. I picked them up immediately. I stopped and admired the ring that encircled my finger, a smile crossing my face for my love of the piece of jewelry. I knew my parents were in the living room. I rushed to the doorway to tell them the news, excitement filling me.

"Mom, Da-" The pair of them sat on the couch, my mother crying into my father's shoulder as he held her close to him. My new little brother, who turned two a few weeks ago, was playing with his toys near the couch. On the other side of the room, standing with a smile across his face, was a man who caused me to faint.