I'll Catch You

I got too my room and slammed the door locking it so nobody could come in. I ran my hands through my hair, panicking about what to do. I was crying and I couldn't think straight. I just kept screaming profanities, so they could hear me. I grabbed my phone and dialed Joel's number, dropping my phone a few times before I got it right. He answered only after two rings and I felt my heart dropped the second I heard his sweet voice.

"Baby I'm going to be there in a couple of seconds," he sounded so happy, and I felt so guilty that my parents were ruining our special day.

"Joel..." was all I was able to get out before he interrupted.

"Annie what's wrong, please tell me!"

"My brother is..."

"Baby its okay, I'll be there soon."

"No, you don't understand he's here, in my living room!"

"What, Annie your dead brother?"

"No he's not dead, he's here now and there is this prince coming and he wants me to go with them..."

"Annie you're starting to scare me. You're not making any sense, baby." I was crying so hard trying to explain.

"Joel, my parents said I can't marry you and they want me to go with my brother and this guy they say is a prince!"

"What, I thought your parents liked me," there was hurt in his voice "they don't want you to marry me?"

"Joel I need to get out of here, I need to leave with you now. Do you think your parents will let me stay with you for a few days?" The phone was quiet for a few seconds and my heart started hurting even more.

"Yeah of course they will, they love you. I'll be there in a second. Get something ready and toss them out the window and when I get there I'll help you out, okay?" I smiled with relief at his words.

“Oh, thank you, I love you!" was all I could say.

"I love you too, now, get ready!"

I did as he said by packing a bag of clothing then filling my backpack with toiletries and other personal items. I tossed them out the window onto the lawn and went to grab my cell off the table when I heard Joel yell out my name. I walked over to the window and saw him standing below. I looked back at my room, and decided to climb out the window. Almost immediately I regretted this idea, but it was too late now and I really need to get away from my parents and my not so dead brother.

I was not the biggest fan of heights and I started to doubt Joel's ability to catch me if/when I fell, from my second level window. My arms were starting to burn, but I knew I did not have the strength to pull myself back up to the safe confines of my room.

"Annie, its okay, just let go i'll catch you, I promise!"

"I'm scared" I yelled in response. "On the count of three just let go. I'll catch you. I won't let you fall!"

"Okay.” My voice sounded as if it were coming from someone else.

"1...2...3..." I let go and made the mistake of looking down to see Joel, who was laying face down on the ground. I couldn't wrap my mind around what I was seeing. I screamed. I heard Joel scream my name. Then I felt to arms catch me, in a bridal style. My thoughts were running fast. Did I imagine him on the ground? I had my eyes closed so tightly, I was afraid to open them. Joel must have caught me and I was being held. Finally heard a voice whispering into my ear. I coud barely hear it over my pounding heart.

"Its okay I caught you're fine, open your eyes," and I slowly opened them in time to see Joel pushing himself off the ground, turning around to look at me.

"What the hell was..." I looked to see who was holding me fearing my brother had figured out what was going on.

But it was not my brother. It was a man I had never seen before. He must have been about the same age as I am. He was staring down at me, with a look of bemusement. The sun was not fully set and the sky was a mixture of light and dark blue, yellows, purples, and orange. His eyes against the dusk sky were the prettiest light and dark blue color I had ever seen. He had short, choppy, light brown hair and full lips that had a slight up curve to the corners. He was wearing similar clothing to my brother and he looked good. After all, I'm a teenage girl with hormones. I still look now and then. Don't get me wrong, I loved Joel and he beats him hands down in comparison to my savior, but he was definitely nice eye candy.