Chapter 28

Kylie's POV

Something is off. From the second I came home my gut has been telling me something is up but I can't tell what.

The house is eerily quiet and after a few feeble attempts of calling Kim I covered my face, rocking myself as I cried. I pushed everyone away and now I sit alone in my room in tears that swelled my face, and I take full responsibility. I reach under my mattress as a reflex, but nothing's there.

I jumped off my bed and lift the mattress completely up "No no no, it's supposed to be here" I ran to the other side of my bed and did the same thing, the book was missing. I trashed through my room, but the book was no where to be found. I picked up my phone and dialed the library number on my receipt, they were closing in an hour.

I grabbed what ever looked good at ran out the door with everything in my hands. I wasn't until I caught a taxi and sat down did I realize I grabbed his sweater, with his rich scent still faintly attached. White was touching to tops of the building, and goosebumps already covered my skin

"where to?" Asked the taxi man "downtown" I slowly put the sweater over my head and slid my arms through, hugging the fabric to my body. Traffic took awhile so I paid the man and began my walk. I'm becoming familiar with the area, only needing to look up occasionally.

I heard the footsteps, saw the shadows but kept walking. When the side walks thinned out and people filed out I stopped walking, and so did the footsteps. "What do you want" Silence. My breathing was feeling winded, as I stood for a few seconds absorbing their gaze on my back. If they were going to attack they would have done it by now, right?

So I turned, and Nate stared at me with a guilty face "Nate? What's going on?" He looked embarrassed and paranoid "Sorry for following you but I had to" "what do you mean?" I walked closer to him and placed my hand gently on his shoulder "It's just- I've been having a bad feeling and I don't want you alone"

"Then why didn't you just join me?" He looked at his shoes, avoiding my eye "Um, it's complicated" I roll my eyes and tilt up his chin "You can tell me on the way, I have go to the library" "I know, it's not there" "My book? How do you know about that? Your not mixed up in all this mess are you Nate? Not you to" He looked down at his shoes again "Who do you work for?"
"Um that's even more complicated" "Well I know your not going to hurt me, right" he seemed offended that I even mentioned the idea of him hurting me "Of course not" "Then walk me home since you know where my book is" "I don't know where it is I just know it's missing" "How do you know it's missing but not know where it is?" "You left me a sticky note" I blinked a few times before answering

"Oh" But Nate still didn't look his relaxed self, he was on edge, waiting for something to happen and that made me nervous. "Can we go?" He nodded and led the way back home. He looked like he was driving as we walked, constantly looking over his shoulder, left, and then right. He played with his fingers nervously and avoided my eye contact the more I talked to him. "Okay, what's wrong, why are you acting all weird?" He bit his lip "umm" "No no no. Don't start lying" he seemed to be having an internal struggle when we turned the corner, two cars pulled up I front of us with guns in aim "Get in the car" I looked at Nate who had a frown but nodded after seeing a laser beam aimed at my heart.
As we got in they put a bag over our heads and tied up our hands so tight it was stopping my blood circulation. "Kylie summers we have been waiting for you" "Who are you cowards!" I screamed. There was an extreme amount of pressure that hit me in the nose, making it spill with blood. I gasped and felt Nate thrash next to me
"Don't you dare fucking touch her!" And the repetitive hits to him that followed. We were both silent now. "You talk one more time and I'll slit your wrists and let you drain, got it?" Silence. "Good! I see we have fast learners" he chuckled to himself "here's how it's going to go. We going to get you out to see the boss, you going to follow me, and then I'm going to kill you"
I was shaking so hard I clasped my hands together painfully. Nate kept his shoulder pressed into mine, maybe to comfort me or maybe to make sure I was there with him, ether way it kept me calmer knowing I was not alone In this. If he was working for someone, he must be trained of some sort or have someone to call. I tried to picture the streets as we drove but it was no use, I lost count of which way they were taking us.