twenty four: other

Kelly's
Sunday Evening

My fingers pick at the frayed treads of my pillow cover in apprehension of what Clayton would say.

"Are you guys-"

"No!" I interject swiftly to clear up doubts.

"You better be honest here."

"Yes!" I insist. "Just friends!" My emphasis falls heavily on the last two words, not only to convince him, but also myself. His forehead furrows.

"Did he try to...?"

"No!" I groan in distress.

"I'm sure you're clever enough to know he's a player, right?" He brutally yet honestly points out the only flaw in buddy.

"Yes, but it's not his fault." I argue, thinking back on the night where Ethan opened the windows to my breeze. "I'm sure you know why, too."

Clayton sneaks an unexpected snigger. "Oh so you two are that close." My jaw slacks, the forehead between my eyebrows crinkles. I don't get him.

"So you think its fine for him to be a player just because of that?"

"No, I just feel like... that..." Honestly, I didn't really think about it.

"Kelly. I know you think he's a great guy, and I think so too, but the only problem is his womanizing ways. Just because I am his good friend doesn't mean I support his lifestyle. I've seen how he dumps girls like trash, and I don't you to be just another one of his playthings." He sighs, frowning.

"I am your brother, and I will always be here to help," he continues, "but there's only so much I can do to protect you. You have to protect yourself, okay?" He pats my shoulder. I stare sightlessly at my mint walls, lost in his words. I was just exposed to a completely new perspective that threw me off track and now I begin again, in bigger and deeper dilemmas.

The tired him sensed that I was worn out and dead beat from... everything. Slowly, he stands up from the office chair. "As for Gavin," he exhales deeply, "be honest with yourself. I'm not going to tell you what to do. You're a smart kiddo, you'll work it out." He lightly pats me on the head. He mouths a muted goodnight, before closing the door behind him.

The cupcake catches the corner of my eyes.

Kelly's

Monday morning

Monday comes way too fast.

Clayton zips into the corner parking lot on the school compound and just the sight of this place makes me want to puke. School is such a chore. (Why can't I just be a polar bear?)

"Same time same place," He shouts before we part ways, for he had a bunch of jocks waiting for him.. Slinging my bag across, I flash him the 'OK' hand gesture before walking off. As much as I don't want to loiter around after school till 5pm, I have to: he's my only transport home. Ah, I should really work on my driving skills. That way life would be so much easier.

As I take a step into homeroom, loud and wild teenagers shouting and running across from corners faze me. It's always like that when the teachers aren't here; things get out of control. Walking over to my desk in the second row, I am greeted by various classmates. Reaching my seat, Claudia sweeps in from behind, giving me a little shock.

"Hi Kels!" She squirms. "I got this for you from Italy, hope you like it!" She holds up a handcrafted keychain, beautifully embellished with topaz rhinestones.