three: like

A/N: This is for all the nice people that have commented on my previous chapters and critiqued my work! I have brushed up on my tenses in this chapter and brought back the humor! I shan't talk anymore, read on!

Chapter 3: Tuesday Night

My eyelids flutter open to the brilliant yet subtle flare belonging to the chain of fairy lights that hung over my bed. I remember this set of lanterns is the first gift from Gavin. He knows about my irrational fear of the dark and so he surprised me with a parcel in the mail, along with a handwritten letter that read 'for the girl who is afraid of the monsters in the night; don't be'. My heart sinks just thinking of the memories we created.

I want to make more.

Stretching my arms, I grab my phone off the bedside table. The neon screen lights up to display 8:49pm. Damn it! Why did nobody in this house wake me up from my five-hour nap? Right, I'm home alone. Mom and Dad flew off yesterday to Japan while Clayton ditched me for a cheerleader he met last Sunday.

Clayton is such a man whore.

I bounce down the alpine wood staircase and jog to the fridge (pretty much the only exercise I do). Swiftly grabbing last night's lasagna leftovers, I pop it into the microwave and adjusted some buttons that will magically transform the frozen pasta into its edible form. I love microwaves. They are like God-sent gifts to every lazy person on Earth.

Pulling out my physics booklet, I set them down on the coffee table and blast my Arctic Monkeys playlist. Jaclyn dropped by in the afternoon to pass me the work I missed out on my two days of absence on sick leave. Although I think she would have been a better friend by completing the worksheets for me. (I'm kidding) I have ten pages to complete in two hours, because I procrastinated the whole day watching the new season of PLL. Lazy is my middle name.

I know what you're thinking. Yeah, yeah, Ethan was right; I fell sick after the whole depressed-in-the-rain saga.

You are still wondering what happened that day, right?

*

He stepped out of his classy ride, clutching a maroon Adidas windbreaker over his body to shield him from the rain. He closed the distance between us. What the heck was he going to do now?

He shoved a mini foldable umbrella into the palms of my hands. "Take this. You'll fall ill walking home in this downpour," He asserted. His solemn eyes met my watery pair, as he forgot to conceal the secondary shock on his face. Before he could question why I was crying, I pushed the umbrella back to him and slowly shook my head.

I stepped back, looking away, muttered under my breath.

"I don't need anything else from you,"

*

I scrape my plate with the fork to scoop the last bits of lasagna on the microwavable plate. I'm literally too lazy to function at this moment.

Suddenly the clinking of the front metal gates could be heard. Is someone outside?

I walk over to the window and pop my head in front of the lilac curtains. It's dark outside and the lights on our porch are dimly lit. Could it be Clayton? But, he has his own keys and wouldn't be banging on the gates for attention. He'd just text to say he's outside.

I squint, barely able make out if a human or a giant raptor lizard is behind the gates.

"Hey! Its me, Ethan!" A low greeting emits from the darkness.

"Clayton's not home, so you can go now!" I reply rudely, showing him the door before he even stepped in.

"I'm looking for you, Kelly." He yells back across our front porch. My neighbors are going to kill me.