The Funeral (Bonus Chapter)

James and Sirius watched Ariella sit by the creek that ran past Godric’s Hollow. She was huddled in her jacket and pajama bottoms. Her bare feet were buried in the snow. Her golden curls were tangled against her back.

“At least she’s up,” Sirius mumbled to his friend as James nodded. School was about to start again. They could see the empty Gryffindor Manor looming on the hill just beyond the creek. Ariella had yet to cross the creek.

“Elle, we need to get ready for…” James started to say funeral but decided against it. Sirius sighed from beside him before jogging toward the blonde.

“Come on, babe,” Sirius urged as Ariella looked up at him. He could see the damage her tears had wrought upon her pretty face. Her eyes were red and puffy.  Her nose and cheeks were bright pink. The tear streaks trailed down her jaw. Sirius crouched down next to her and brushed a tangled curl away from her face.

“We have to get ready. You know that.  Mrs. P is gettin’ worried about you, out here all on your own,”  Sirius mumbled as Ariella sighed.  It took her a minute to climb to her feet as she gave the house of the hill one final hollowed stare.

“Let’s go, Elle,” Sirius remarked quietly as he held Ariella’s hand all the way back to the Potter’s home. Mrs. Potter stood in the doorway of her home with a sad expression spread across her pretty face. Her frizzy dark brown hair was pulled back into a simple ponytail. She was dressed in all black, just like the rest of the people in their home. All except Ariella, who wore red and gold pajama bottoms. She quickly ushered her son and his two friends into the house as her husband came into the foyer.

“James, Sirius, why don’t you come help me finish setting up dining room for afterwards,” Mr. Potter remarked as he led the two boys away from his wife and the blonde. Mrs. Potter hugged Ariella before walking her up the stairs, toward her bedroom.

“I picked out a dress. I remember your mother bought it for you last summer. I laid out a necklace your father bought you, and I picked up Sam’s stuffed lion. I thought you’d like to hold it during the ceremony.” Mrs. Potter’s words were jumbled up in Ariella’s head. She felt the tears pool in her eyes again as she eyed the described items, lying across her bed. Her shaking fingers trailed each one as memories shook her. As she thought of her family, she remembered their broken forms and the frightened expressions they wore in death. She remembered the house-elves. And most of all, she remembered Voldemort smiling at her, taunting her, laughing at her. His face haunted her in her sleep. Nightmares stole what little time she did sleep away from her. Ariella didn’t even realize she had sunken to her knees until Mrs. Potter fell down next to her and pulled her into her chest. Sobs rocked her body as she hugged the woman close to her.

“Let it all out, sweetie. I’m here. You want me to call up James and Sirius for you, dear?” Mrs. Potter asked as she patted down Ariella’s curls. She felt the young girl nod her head and she smiled sadly.

“Alright. James! Sirius! Come up here please!” Her voice rang through the house and it took only a moment before the two boys were standing in the doorway expectantly.

“You called, mum?” James questioned as he and Sirius looked between the older woman and their beloved companion.

“Help her get ready. She wanted you two. I’ll be downstairs with your father,” Mrs. Potter answered as she separated from the blonde. Sirius was by Ariella’s side the next second. He gently brushed her tears away from her cheeks as his own eyes watered. The pain she was feeling fell down on his chest like lead. He felt James come up behind him as Mrs. Potter shut the door.

“Come on, Elle. We’re here. We’ll help you. You know that,” James reassured as he picked up the dress.  Ariella nodded her head as Sirius helped her to her feet. She reached out for the dress weakly before moving toward the bathroom.  She paused before going in.