It's Christmas! [Pt. 2]

Severus clenched his fists at his sides and scowled at his plate. Had she really been subjected to so many tragedies so young in her life? Not only had she been scarred physically, but also mentally. It was a wonder she was even remotely functional, much less cheerful and social. How could she be? His eyes looked up briefly and met hers. It was then he realized why she was nothing short of amazing. It was because she had to be. She had people who loved her. She had people she loved. She was loyal to the end. She’d never abandon the people she cared about. She forced herself to be strong for everyone else. How many nights had she laid awake, too afraid to fall asleep? How many times had she stopped herself from crying and being weak when she was around cheerful families?

“Eh? What are you looking at, Snark?” Severus was surprised when Ariella appeared in front of him. Remus looked over and quickly shook his head. It was a signal for them to not bring up their conversation. He scowled at the thought. He wasn’t that tactless. He knew better.  

“Nothing, Cross,” he grumbled as he turned his attention back to his breakfast. Ariella tilted her head to the side before shrugging it off. Remus looked between the two for a moment before turning back to his breakfast.

“So what were you two boys whispering about?” Ariella asked as she took her previous spot in the middle of the two men. Severus scowled as he set his lips in a firm line. Remus choked on his pumpkin juice before coughing to cover up his blunder.

“Not…ah…ah…Nothing,” he finally breathed out as he continued to cough. Ariella quirked an eyebrow, but let it go. After all, it was probably about the gifts they had gotten her.

“I just love Christmas!” Ariella gushed as she grabbed another festive tart and bit into it. Severus rolled his eyes, but kept silent.

How could she love Christmas? How could she love Halloween? How could she love anything? She should be bitter and angry, like he was. How could she not be? His dark eyes glanced over to watch her take another bite of the tart in her hand. A smile seemed permanently plastered across her features.

**

“Ready for your gift, Remus?” Ariella asked as the two of them walked down to the lakeside. Remus chuckled before nodding.

“Of course, Elle,” Remus replied. Ariella grinned widely as she blew hot air gently onto her exposed hands, before reaching into her pocket. Remus watched a fumble in her pocket as they reached their usual spot by the lake, under the oak tree.

“So can I ask what you got me?” Remus asked as Ariella quickly shook her head while withdrawing a rectangular box. It was beautifully wrapped present: cerulean blue glimmer paper with gold foil half-moons, and gold sparkle ribbon was tied intricately on the top of the box. Remus almost felt guilty opening it. Ariella smiled as she watched him carefully pull the ribbon to undo the bow and peel away the paper.

“It’s a present, Moony. Not surgery,” she joked as she giggled. Remus chuckled before lifting the top of the box.  His eyes widened as he pulled out a brand new set of robes, embroidered with his initials and the Gryffindor crest.

“Elle, you shouldn’t have,” he muttered as he ran his thumb over the crest. Ariella shrugged.

“That’s not all,” she replied as she pointed back at the box. Underneath the robes, there was a gold pocket watch. His initials were engraved on the outside. He clicked the watch open and stared at the inside. Instead of telling the time, he saw the watch told when the moon phases were and where she and Harry were. Tears pricked his eyes as he put both gifts back into the box and pulled Ariella into a long, tight hug.

“Thank you,” he whispered. Ariella smiled as she hugged him back.

“You have to remember that this almost 12 years of Christmas presents tied up into two things, ok?” Ariella joked as Remus chuckled, pulling away. He pulled her present from his pocket. It wasn’t wrapped, but he knew she wouldn’t care. Ariella’s fingers, red from the cold, popped the small box open. She giggled girlishly when she pulled the bracelet. It was silver with little charms dangling from it.

“Oh Remus, it’s beautiful. It looks almost like the one I used to have,” she remarked as she examined it. Her eyes widened when she noticed one of the charms had her initials engraved on the back.

“It is the one you had,” Remus replied.

“I thought I had lost it,” she mumbled as she fingered each of the charms lovingly. Remus smiled.

“James had found it and gave it to me for safe-keeping. Of course, I never knew…” Remus admitted as tears pricked Ariella’s amethyst eyes. Suddenly she tackled him and the two fell into the snow. Remus chuckled as Ariella giggled, tears streaming down her face.

“Oh, Remus, thank you. Thank you so much,” she gushed as she hugged him tightly just as he attempted to sit up in the snow.

“Anything for you, Elle. Anything for you,” he whispered as he hugged her back.

**

Severus’ mind was filled with Ariella Cross. He paused in one of the outer hallways when he caught a glimpse of red glimmering against the stark white of the snow. His eyes widened when he saw Ariella and Remus hugging. Jealous rage filled his gut. How could the two of them be so close? How could she hug him knowing he was a werewolf? How could she…, he paused as he watched them separate and help each other to their feet. Suddenly realization struck him. Lupin knew Ariella in a way that he, Severus Snape, did not. They had been friends for years. Best friends, and they were all that remained of their group. Lupin knew all of Ariella’s secrets.  He knew what tragedies and accomplishments she had experienced.

“Damn them,” he growled as he stormed off to his office. He was intent on fuming until Ariella came to find him. If she ever wanted to, his mind reminded him.