In The Eyes of the Wolf [Pt. 2]

“I said while I admit we did some pretty cruel things, we never went as far as to physically harm him like he and Malfoy did!”  Remus voiced his concerns. Ariella frowned.

“Remus, really. Can you really blame him for what he did?” She asked, although she already knew his answer.

“Yes!” Remus replied vehemently. The careless approach to the subject led Remus to believe she had thought about the memory a lot. No doubt because she was so close to the main perpetrator.

“If he wanted revenge, he should’ve come after us!” Remus remarked. Ariella’s frown slipped away as a serene smile replaced it.

“Really? Would he really have gotten away with it? And could he really justify years of torture? In actuality, it was simply easier to attack the one thing all of you cared about. Me.” Ariella reasoned. Remus stared at her with wide eyes.

“You’re defending him?”

“Look! Here’s the dungeon!” Ariella remarked as Severus stared at her. His eyes searched the hallway and found she was correct. A grin was plastered across the young blonde’s face.

“Well it was fun, Snape!” She remarked before turning to disappear back into the passageway. Severus watched her until she was seemingly swallowed up by the wall. He honestly didn’t know what to think about Ariella Cross.

“Severus!” Lucius Malfoy looked surprised to find the dark haired boy alone in the hallway after curfew. The Head Boy frowned.

“What are you doing out here?” He asked.

“I was on my way back from the library,” Severus answered truthfully.

“Was there someone here with you?”

“No,” Snape answered quickly. He let his mind wander to his carefree Potions partner.

“I could’ve sworn I heard that Cross girl’s voice!” Lucius muttered more to himself than to the sixth year in front of me.

“Well, get to the common room! I’m letting you off with a warning Severus!” Lucius remarked before the two headed to the Slytherin common room.

**

“Last night was fun, huh?” Ariella asked as she grounded beetles like Severus had asked her to do.

“Hardly,” Severus drawled. His dark eyes caught Sirius Black and James’s Potter’s stares as Ariella paid little attention to her friends.

“Well I had fun! Of course, James and Sirius were bloody pissed when I came back! You should’ve seen their faces when I told them I snuck around with you!” Ariella replied cheerfully. Severus frowned at the comment.

“You told them you were with me?”

“Yeah, why wouldn’t I? We’re friends right?” Ariella tilted her head to the side. Red ribbons were tied skillfully into her curls so they wouldn’t fall into her face. Severus stared at her in surprise at her admittance.

“Friends?”

“Yeah. Of course I understand if you don’t wanna be friends with me. After all, you hate them!” She jutted her thumb in the direction of her four best friends. Remus and Peter were paying little attention, but James and Sirius grew livid. They couldn’t understand why Ariella Cross would be so friendly with Severus Snape when she hated all the other Slytherins she came in contact with, especially Lucius Malfoy and Bellatrix Black.