The Return of Scabbers [Pt. 1]

Weeks passed and soon it was almost the end of the school year. Harry sat in Ariella’s office, seeking reprieve as he explained about how Ron and Hermione had fought over the supposed death of Scabbers the rat and refused to speak to one another.

“They’re refusing to talk to each other!” Harry exclaimed as he threw his hands up into the air. Ariella sighed. She could remember hundreds of fights where the same could be said of any one of her friends.

“Harry, friends fight. Trust me. Your father and I got into a row over something stupid he said and then I dyed his hair plaid,” Ariella replied sympathetically. Harry frowned.

“What did he say?”

“Oh, he said I ate too much and I would get fat. But that’s not the point. The point is it was one of a million fights your father and I had since we were kids. We always made up. I’m sure Ron and Hermione will do the same in their own time,” Ariella soothed with a gentle smile. Harry looked skeptical but he had faith in his godmother’s wisdom.

“Was he always mean to you?” He questioned suddenly. Professor Snape had always sworn that James Potter was a bully, but Professor Lupin had only spoken nice things about him.

“Who?”

“My dad. You said he called you fat…”

“One time.  One time I called him a narcissistic jackass. You have to understand, Harry. Your father and I were very close but it didn’t mean we didn’t get on each other’s nerves from time to time. We all fought at some point, even Remus and I. Sometimes we still do; it doesn’t mean we stop being friends.” Ariella replied knowingly as she smiled. Harry looked thoughtful before he nodded and climbed to his feet just as the bell rang. His study hall was over. He cringed at the thought of having Potions next. 

“What is your next class?”  Ariella questioned as she watched him linger by the door.

“Potions,” he mumbled dejectedly. Ariella shook her head.

“Here I’ll come with you. We can take the long way and if you’re late, you’ll have me as an excuse. I need to talk to Professor Snape anyways,” Ariella offered as she grabbed a nearby scroll and opened the door to her office. Harry looked less reluctant as he followed after his godmother.

**

“Weasley! Where’s Potter?” Snape hissed when he noticed the dark haired boy was absent from his class. Ron Weasley looked terrified as he shrugged his shoulders. His freckles almost disappeared beneath a bright red blush.

“I...I don’t know, Professor. He had a meeting with Professor Cross during Study Hall,” Ron offered in hopes that his friend would think to bring a note when he showed up, if he showed up at all. Snape scoffed at the excuse. No doubt, since learning of Ariella’s relation to him, Potter was learning ways to ditch school because of her.  He would have to have a talk with the blonde about her leniency with the boy. Almost as if they knew they were at the center of Snape’s attention, Ariella Cross and Harry Potter walked into the classroom after a few brief knocks on the dungeon door. Snape scowled at the pair before he approached them. The class followed him with their eyes.

“Professor,” Snape greeted in a growl as he leveled his glare at the boy.

“I’m sorry, Professor Snape.  I kept Mr. Potter a bit longer than I had anticipated. I didn’t mean for him to be late for your class,” Ariella offered before she nudged Harry in the direction of his seat. Harry looked over his shoulder at her but her eyes were pinned on Snape’s face. He internally groaned before skirting around the Potions Master and heading toward his place next to Ron.