The Return of Moony

“Remus!” Remus Lupin’s tired eyes looked up in awed surprise. Ariella smiled brightly at him as she stood beside Dumbledore.

“Oh! Moony!” The woman was bouncing on her heels as she was held back by the smiling headmaster.

“Elle?” Remus’ voice quivered. Twelve years had done little to diminish the beautiful girl of her youth. She still looked like she had in school, he noted happily.  She nodded and pulled him into a tight hug.

“Oh Remus! It’s been too long! I’ve missed you!” Ariella’s voice brought tears to her old friend’s eyes. His tired brown eyes sparkled as he pulled her tighter against his chest.

“Oh, Elle!” He nuzzled his face into her neck; the curls that brushed across his skin tingled. Severus Snape sneered at the scene and told himself it wasn’t jealousy that flared in his stomach. Remus Lupin could easily capture this ethereal fairy and take her away, laughing at him the entire time.  He cleared his throat to earn their attention as Dumbledore smiled.

“Ah, yes, Severus. Remus, Severus has agreed to brew the…” He began.

“Wolfbane’s Potion for you! Isn’t it wonderful, Remus?” Ariella interrupted excitedly before blushing. Severus frowned as he watched the blush spread across her cheeks. The sight caused his heart to beat rapidly in his chest.

“I’m sorry Albus. I just couldn’t help myself.” She apologized as Dumbledore chuckling, waving her apology away.

“It’s quite alright, Ariella. I had expected a lot more fanfare and secrecy but you cut to the chase. Thank you, my dear.” Ariella grinned wildly before dragging Remus to the castle by his arm. Severus could hear them talking about things that old friends talked about. Cheerful memories they shared. He scowled at the thought. He didn't share any cheerful memories with the blonde.

“Quite excited, isn’t she?” Dumbledore turned to Severus, his eyes twinkling behind his half-moon spectacles. He had seen the look of jealousy that had paused across the younger man's face.

“Ecstatic.” Severus all but growled as he followed the departing pair with envious eyes.

“I wonder…Why did you change your mind? As I recall, you swore that you’d die before helping him.” If Severus could blush, he would have at the headmaster’s words. No doubt Dumbledore knew exactly why he had changed his mind. No doubt he knew Ariella had skipped into his office and begged him to do it, leaning on his arm, directing her wide hopeful eyes onto his cold dark ones. He never could’ve said no once she became involved. No doubt, Dumbledore sent her to him for that exact reason.

“You know as well as I do, headmaster. Cross… she persuaded me.” Dumbledore chuckled and led Severus back to the castle with ease.

“Ah Severus, indeed I know.”

_________________________________________________________________________________ 

“Severus!”  Severus rolled his eyes before turning to Ariella expectantly. She had pinned her curls up away from her face, he noted.

“What do you want, woman?” He growled as she smiled brightly. She took the empty seat on his left and Remus sat in the chair next to her. Too close for Severus's liking, but he kept his mouth closed.

“It’s nice to see your grumpy face again!” Ariella replied cheerfully as Remus smiled at him from her other side.

“Severus, I must thank you for…”

“Don’t.” Severus spat as Ariella’s smile fell at his hostility. Remus let it go, nodding before turning to Flitwick. Snape was aware of Ariella’s eyes on him but chose to ignore it. He could see her hands clench into fists as she swept the hall, her purple eyes searching.