Daydreamer

Ariella sighed as she searched the room for something to occupy her time. Her eyes landed on the bed and she smiled. She quickly fixed the tousled bedding and clapped her hands when she was finished. She looked at the nearby clock and frowned. That task had only taken ten minutes of her time.  She sighed and sat down heavily on the edge of the bed. She laid back and closed her eyes, letting her mind drift. Honestly she had no idea why this situation made her think of her school days.

“ARIELLA CROSS!” James Potter’s voice boomed in the expansive Great Hall. The entire student population turned to him as he stormed through the double doors with purple hair. A few Slytherins snickered, but most of the students were in awe. Ariella sat between Remus and Sirius with a triumphant smirk plastered across her face. Her blonde curls were pinned away from her face and she folded her arms across her chest as she turned to face her friend.

“Hello, James,” She greeted chirpily. Sirius hid his chuckles behind his hand as Remus shook his head at James. Peter simply looked mystified by the events transpiring around him. 

“What did you do to my hair?” James hissed as he pointed to his purple head. Ariella shrugged.

“You look good, Prongs,” Sirius commented as he hung his arm over Ariella’s shoulder.

“He’s right, James. Purple suits you,” Ariella remarked before taking a bite out of the biscuit that was in her friend’s hand.

“You little sneak! How could you do this to me?” James seethed, feeling betrayed by his best friends. They understood how precious his hair was to him. His hair was right up there with his  broom and Lily Evans.

“You told me I was fat,” Ariella replied indignantly. Remus choked on his pumpkin juice as Lily Evans leaned closer to the group.

“But I meant it in the nicest possible way!” James argued. Ariella scoffed.

“Telling a girl she’s fat is not, in any way, shape, or form, nice, James,” she rebuffed as James sat down roughly beside Sirius.

“If you’d stop eating so much…” He mumbled dejectedly as Ariella gasped and flicked her wand. James’ eyes widened in horror as his purple hair turned plaid. The entire Gryffindor table burst into fits of laughter as James glared at Ariella.

“Stupid girl,” he growled as his eyes searched the Great Hall. His eyes landed on a quiet Severus Snape, Ariella’s Slytherin potions partner. James smirked.

“Righteo. You wanna mess with me, Elle?” He asked as Ariella quirked an eyebrow. Sirius followed James’ line of sight and a wicked smirk spread across his handsome features.

“What are you two planning?” She questioned as the two boys pointed their wands at the unsuspecting fifth year. Ariella’s eyes widened.

“Not in the Great Hall, idiots!” She exclaimed as she climbed to her feet and stood in front of them.

“And not him,” She added darkly.

“Cross?” Ariella jerked forward as her eyes shot open. Severus stood at the foot of the bed, ready for the day. Ariella chuckled as she ran a shaky hand through her drying curls.

“Hey, Snape, I was, uh, daydreaming and stuff,” She commented nervously as Snape quirked an eyebrow at her.

“Daydreaming?” He questioned as Ariella nodded. She flashed him a half-hearted smile before climbing off of the bed.

“So you ready for breakfast?” She asked, smoothing the comforter out as she left the bed. Severus watched her before nodding.  He knew better than to ask what had distracted his colleague, especially after the previous night.  The walk to the Great Hall was silent. However, it wasn’t an awkward silence like what usually happened between Snape and his other colleagues. No, today, it seemed to be a mutual act on both of their parts. Ariella didn’t want to talk and Severus didn’t want to ask. She wore a contemplative expression until she was in sight of her friend. She replaced it with a soft smile that spoke of peace. It was a decoy to distract her werewolf companion from seeking what truly lurked beneath the blonde’s calm exterior.

“Hey Elle. You ok?” Remus greeted worriedly. He knew the smile was forced. He could see the strain on the corner of her pink lips. His eyes met Severus and the two conceded on one fact. Ariella Cross was not fine, no matter how many times she said it.

“I’m fine. Honestly. Don’t fret over me. Did Dumbledore up the security?” She questioned seriously as Remus sighed and nodded. Severus’s eyes swept the Great Hall and his easily found the subject of Ariella’s next question.

“And Harry has no idea, right?” She asked quietly as Remus shook his head. She sighed in relief and nodded. She picked up a nearby muffin and easily bit into it. Severus quirked an eyebrow at the blonde’s selection. Usually she ate a tart. He watched her eyes glaze over as she absent-mindedly continued to chew on her muffin. Remus took notice of the expression his companion wore and he frowned.  He leaned back and began to talk behind Ariella’s back.

“Has she done this all morning?” He asked the quiet Potions Master. Snape shook his head.

“I only caught her once. What is she doing?” Snape questioned, concerned for the blonde. 

“She’s reliving her memories. She used to do all the time when she felt she forgot something,” Remus explained as Severus frowned.

“Where you going, Elle?” Sirius leaned his head back far enough he could see the blonde girl. James and Remus turned to face her as well. Peter sat up from the floor.

“For a walk. It’s too stuffy in here,” She answered with a shrug. Her cloak was already wrapped around her shoulders. James shrugged, accepting her answer. Ariella had always preferred the outside to the inside.

“Do you want some company?” Sirius asked with a slight wriggle of his eyebrows. Remus shook his head and returned to the book in his hands.

“Nah, I’m good. Thanks though. I’ll see you when I get back,” She said as she turned to head for the portrait hole. No one noticed Peter shuffle to his feet. Sirius shrugged and returned to a comfortable seating position. James hummed before deciding to flick jelly beans at unsuspecting first years across the common room. Ariella passed several students rushing to their common room in fear of being caught after curfew. Ariella wasn’t concerned. Slughorn would still be in his office. McGonagall would chastise her but ultimately release her. Flitwick would be asleep. The only person who could really get her in trouble would be the Slytherin Prefects or Head Boy and Girl. Oh, and there was Filch. She sighed before pausing. She didn’t know whether she was willing to risk detention. It only took a moment for her to decide. She needed to be outside. Her trek to the Front Hall was quiet with only a few noises from the paintings that watched her.

“Cross?” Ariella paused and tilted her head to the side as she turned around.

“Snape? What are you doing out?” She asked, shocked to see the quiet boy out at this time of night.

“I’m on my way to the dungeons,” He answered softly as Ariella smiled softly.

“Where were you?” She questioned with a quirked eyebrow. Severus Snape furrowed his eyebrows in the center of his forehead.

“The library,” he answered curtly. His dark eyes swept the hall around the blonde sixth year.

“Where are Black and Potter?” He sneered as Ariella frowned. She knew how Sirius and James tormented the poor boy that stood in front of her. They were cruel to him; they oftentimes bullied him without her present.

“In the common room. I wanted to go for a walk,” She answered easily. The boy seemed to relax if only just a little.

“Do you wanna come with me?”

“Elle? The bell just rang,” Remus distracted the blonde and she jumped when she realized she had zoned out again. Severus sneered from beside her as she climbed to her feet.

“Oh, right. Ok! I’ll see you guys later?” She asked as both men nodded their heads. She smiled softly before leaving them alone with one another.

“I wonder what she was thinking about,” Remus commented quietly as Severus frowned, concerned as well.

“Perhaps Black said something to her last night,” He replied curtly. Remus’s eyes widened at the thought. Severus quirked an eyebrow at the reaction.

“I’ve got to go. Check on Elle for me,” Remus remarked before he jumped to his feet and disappeared behind the nearby exit. Severus stared at the emptying Great Hall before he too climbed to his feet and traveled to his classroom.