What Should Be Never Will

“Are you sure about this, Harry?” Remus questioned a few moments later when he was tied up to Peter and Ron in an attempt to help the injured boy and keep the cowering man from escaping.

“I still don’t like it,” Sirius grumbled as he watched Ariella bend down next to Severus. After making sure he wasn't injured (and she was severely disappointed to find he wasn’t), she easily levitated him next to her. Her mind was filled with the endless possibilities that now seemed tangible. With Sirius back, Harry could leave his muggle family behind. He could live the life he was supposed to: spoiled and loved rotten. Sirius would make sure he would want for nothing. He would hear so many stories about his stolen parents. Ariella wouldn’t have to worry about him every summer when he was out of her grasp. In fact she could see him every day if she chose. A hand on her elbow brought her out of her thoughts as she turned to Sirius whose grey eyes were pinned on her face.

“Elle, if I’m free, we can…start over,” He muttered lowly to keep the others from hearing him. Ariella stared at him. That had been the furthest thing from her mind. She had only been concerned with Harry’s wellbeing and not with her own happiness. However, his words didn’t bring the joy or hope that they probably should’ve. Twelve years had passed and she knew both of them had changed. Hell she had spent the last year shacked up with the man now levitating next to her. She glanced warily over at Severus to make sure he was still unconscious.

“Sirius, that isn’t something that…,”

“You’re right. Not here. But soon, Elle. Soon,” Sirius replied. His lips curved upwards into a crooked grin that Ariella knew was only reserved for her and always had been. It brought joy and pain to her heart.

Remus couldn’t breathe. Not with them so close. It took everything his being just to focus on control. Severus noticed it first. The subtle change in posture and eye color alerted him that they were in immediate danger. Ariella noticed it second and the moment she did, Remus hunched over and she shifted. Severus pulled harry and his friends out of harm’s way as Ariella tackled Remus. He swiped at her and hit his mark when blood gushed out of the gash that tore open her snout. Ariella roared before she was joined be the now transformed Sirius and the animagi led their friend away from Severus and the castle. Sirius fell behind as Ariella easily kept pace with the werewolf. She didn’t hear the howl of pain from Sirius as the distance between them rapidly grew.

She spent the night tracking and distracting Remus. By the time the moon sunk below the horizon, Remus was asleep and Ariella dragged him back to the castle in her pained jaws.  She was met at the door by Albus and Madame Pomfrey. She easily shifted to her original form and quickly grabbed her face as she still held onto her slumbering friend.

“Oh, Ella, dear,” Pomfrey gushed as she waved her wand and Remus levitated away from Ariella. Albus approached the blonde as she looked around worriedly. After being separated from Sirius and the others, she was petrified something had happened to them. Something far worse than a werewolf attack.

“Where are they?” Ariella questioned the moment the headmaster reached her.

“Mr. Potter and his friends are in the hospital wing, resting. I’m afraid, however, Mr. Pettigrew escaped.” Albus informed the blonde. Ariella’s eyes widened.

“What? What about Sirius? He’s innocent, Albus! I saw it! Please tell me that they didn’t…” Fear gripped her heart and wouldn’t even let her breathe at the prospect of Sirius’s fate with the Dementor’s kiss.

“Luckily, Mr. Black escaped as well. Do not fret yourself over the details my dear. We must have your wound tended to…”

“Cross!” Severus’s voice suddenly distracted the two as Ariella turned to face him storming down the stairs. Albus smiled before leaving them to their conversation.