Chapter Ten

My love has come along,
My lonely days are over,
And life is like a song - Etta James, At Last

Chapter Ten - I Do

Alexander Lewis didn't know why he was so nervous. Maybe it was because of the death stares he got from Mr. Miller before he stood next to the priest at the altar or the fact that all eyes was on him. Or maybe, the fact that his heart almost stopped when his eyes landed on Iris. She had a nervous but beautiful smile on her face. She looked perfect.

The wedding was at a park. It was his mother's idea. The whole place was decorated with beautiful light blush pink flowers. The sky was blue and he could hear birds chirping. Elliot stood behind him as the best man while Thalia decided to be the Maid of Honor. The both of them held their wedding bands.

Alex's eyes met Iris's, she grinned at him. He didn't know what was wrong with him. His heart was pounding loudly. It felt as if his heart was going to pop out of his chest.

She walked gracefully hand in hand with her father, Peter. As she got closer, he could feel his heart beating harder and harder. He didn't understand why he was so nervous.

"I trust you with her." Peter whispered as he handed Iris's hand to him.

Alex took her soft hands and helped her up the isle. They stood facing each other. A small smile tugged on his mouth. Iris blushed and smiled nervously. They could feel all eyes on them. Alex held on Iris's hands and she on his. Just like how they rehearsed a four days ago.

The priest started talking but Alex tuned him out. His attention was glued to Iris's. Up close, her blue eyes had golden flecks in them. They were blue like the color of the sky at night.

"Alex?" Iris whispered through gritted teeth.

"What?" He blurted, a bit too loudly.

The Priest smiled, "Alexander Michaelson Lewis, do you take Iris Adelaide Miller to be your wedded wife, to live together in marriage? Do you promise to love her, comfort her, honor and keep her for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and health, and forsaking all others, be faithful only to her, for as long as you both shall live?"

He blinked, "I do."

"Iris Adelaide Miller, do you take Alexander Michaelson Lewis to be your wedded husband to live together in marriage? Do you promise to love him, comfort him, honor and keep him for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and health and forsaking all others, be faithful only to him so long as you both shall live?" The room was silent. Iris opened her mouth and hesitated, "I..."

She gulped, her eyes widened in panic. What is she doing? Why isn't she saying anything?

"I-I do." She finally said.

Then the priest asked, "Is there anyone here who objects?"

They both turned to look around. Alex clenched his jaw when he saw Carter raising up from his seat. "I object." That son of a bitch, he thought to himself.

"I'm in love with Alexander Michaelson Lewis and it pains me-"

"Shut up, Carter."

"Just kidding, you may proceed." Everyone laughed. Alex relaxed as he watched Carter sit back on his chair.

"Rings, please." The Priest said. Thalia and Elliot stepped forward and handed their wedding bands. Alex gently took Iris's hands and slipped it on her finger whilst Iris did the same on him. Their hands were a really big contrast. Iris's pale hands were small and delicate. It was soft unlike Alex's slightly tanned calloused large hands.

"You may kiss the bride."

Iris froze. This was it. Her first kiss. On her wedding day. The thing she had always dreamt of. But the only thing that wasn't in the dream was the guy in front of her. Her husband.

Alex leaned forward, it was like time had slowed down. Their lips found each other. They both closed their eyes and moved their lips in sync. They could hear their families and friends applauding.

Iris broke away from the kiss. Suddenly, feeling breathless. That was the most intense thing she had ever felt.

"You're such a bad kisser." Alex muttered.

She blushed, "Well, unlike you, I'm very inexperienced."

His eyes glimmered, "Don't tell me you've never been kissed before."

"Shut up."

"Only if you kiss me." He smirked. She did feel like kissing him again but instead she rolled her eyes.

----------------

"They make a lovely couple, don't they?" Sam's voice broke him out of his thoughts.

Aaron stood with his hands in his pocket. "They make the most unlikely couple ever." He snorted.

"Well, they're both very stubborn." Sam pointed out. He grinned in response.

Sam's hair that was normally straight was now curled loosely. It complimented her face shape.

Music played in the air. The crowd started to cheer as Alex took Iris's hand and they both started dancing. Iris's cheeks were flushed and Alex had a wide smile on his face.

Aaron's eyes flickered to Olivia he held Zeke's hands. Zeke pulled her to dance along with the newlyweds. Her giggles filled the air. Jealousy surged through him.

"Would care for a dance?" He turned to Sam. Her eyes widened and she smiled. "I'd love to." He took her hand and led her to where they were dancing.

He had his hands around her and they started dancing. He twirled her around and glanced over at Olivia who was grinning widely. Then he looked at Sam who had been staring to where he was. Hurt was plastered across her face. All at once he felt guilt deep in his stomach.

Instead, he cleared his throat, "You know you're absolutely beautiful, right?" And it was the truth. You'd have to be stupid to not find her attractive. He stared intently into her amber eyes. His hands on her waist and her hands around his neck.

She blushed, "You don't have to make me feel better." She looked away from him. "I know your true intentions. I'm not stupid."

He felt like he was punched in the gut.

"But it's the truth. You are beautiful, Samantha." Her eyes were wide, filled with hope and innocence before she turned away and said, "Whatever." And pulled away from his grasp.

"Wait, Sam," He pulled on her hands gently but she shoved him away.

"Just leave me alone." She said and walked away.