Chapter Twenty-Four

Alex Lewis

I drove us back home. Everyone else was gathered in the house. I parked the car outside of the house. We sat in silence for a while.

"Aren't you going to go in?" Iris asked.

Her dark curls framed her small face perfectly. The blue in her eyes made the sky look dull.

I inhaled, "Let's go."

She held my hand, they were small on mine, "You'll be okay." She smiled.

I nodded and hopped out of the car and smoothened my jacket. The wind blew, it was so quiet, I could hear the sound of the leaves.

We walked in and everyone turned. All the looks of pity and sadness. I turned to my dad, he was drinking wine.

A hand was on my shoulder, "Have a drink." It was Matthew. He looked tired, there were bags under his eyes. There was a crease between the bridge of his nose. I was so overwhelmed by my grieve, I didn't realize everyone around me were in grieve too.

"Thanks." I took the drink from him.

Hours passed, we were flipping through the pages of mother's photo album of when she was a teenager. I smiled and looked up. I searched for her.

She stood in the corner of the room, a drink in her hand.

She looked better with her hair down. I thought. I shook my head, don't be an idiot Alex.

I searched for her face, she was talking to someone. Her brows furrowed. I got up, "Excuse me for a second." I said and headed her way.

"How could you do this to me, mom?" I heard Iris whisper in anger and sadness at the same time.

"Iris, we should discuss this at home." Her mother said coldly.

"No, I'm not going home. I have no home with you. My home is here." She spat.

I couldn't help but smile a little at her words.

Her mother chuckled, there was no humor in her laugh. "This is your home, huh? Do you really think they love the thought of having you here?" Her tone was cold.

I stepped in and put my arms around Iris's waist. "Is something wrong?" I smiled coldly.

I felt her move in closer into me. "Nothing. We were just talking." Iris said.

"Alex, there you are!" I turned. My aunt Cassidy greeted. "I think it's time we left. It's getting really late."

"Yeah, sure." I pulled away from Iris to hug her. "Thanks for coming."

Carter walked over, his hands in his pocket. "Mom, dad's waiting in the car." He glanced up at Iris then turned his gaze to me. "I'll be going now. It was nice to see you again, Iris."

"I'm sorry for your loss." I clenched my jaw.

"Sure." I said coldly.

"Iris," He nodded, "He's been treating you well enough?" He joked.

I rolled my fist, "Of course I have." I said through gritted teeth.

He smirked, "We should hangout sometimes." He was flirting with Iris. He was definitely doing this on purpose.

She blinked, "I-- uh, sure, I guess." She looked uncomfortable.

"You would let me borrow-" That's it.

I lunged my fist forward, it slammed his nose. I could feel his nose crack underneath the pressure of my punch. Blood poured out his nose.

"Oh God," Iris gasped, pulling me away from him.

I clenched my jaw as I watched him fall to the ground. I could hear gasps of shock from everyone around us. "Come on," I said grabbing Iris and we ran out the mansion. The stupid mansion filled with stinking rich stupid people who didn't care about anything but themselves and their money.

I knew no one was going to come after us. No one cared. That's why.

We hopped into the car. We were panting. I could feel the adrenaline rush up my veins.

"So," Iris gasped, "Where are we headed to?" She smiled. It was probably the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

I had my head on my hands, leaning against the stirring wheel. I looked up at her and smiled, "Let's go nowhere." I said.

She looked straight ahead and nodded, "Nowhere."

An hour passed and we were in the middle of nowhere. I had no clue where we were and Iris didn't seem to bother asking either. We just drove in silence. Once in a while, I would feel her gaze on me. I knew she wanted to say something but didn't think it was a good idea so then she would look away.

I wanted her to say something. I brushed it off. The silence felt better. It felt heavenly.

"Let's do something wild." I finally spoke. We were driving through the woods. I remember this road, mother would bring us camping here. Me, Mathew and Thalia. It was always just the four of us. Dad was never there.

"Like what?" She asked.

I shrugged, "Camping?"

She blinked, "But we didn't bring anything with us."

I smiled, "There's a store nearby. We can go get them."

She bit her lip, "Do you think it's a good idea?" She looked worried.

I chuckled, "Relax, Iris." Her name rolled off my tongue smoothly. I liked the way it sounded when I said it. "Iris." I said it again and smiled.

She furrowed her brows, "What?" She looked at me, confused.

I shook my and turned to the road, still smiling, "Nothing."