Chapter Seven

A hundred and five is the number that comes to my head
When I think of all the years I wanna be with you
Wake up every morning with you in my bed
That's precisely what I plan to do - Jason Derulo, Marry Me

Chapter Seven - Aren't You Gonna Kiss Her?

"Carter?" Iris was shocked to see him. It has been a year since she last saw him. She'll never forget those familiar sea blue eyes.

Alex looked at Iris then at Carter. He had no idea why he suddenly felt angry. He frowned and brushed past Iris and headed into the ICU. He didn't care how Iris and Carter knew each other. He's mother needs him. So he'll be there for her.

"Excuse me, Sir, you can't be-"

"I just came to see my mother." He was on the verge of a tantrum. But he calmed when he saw his mother. His father signaled for him to come over. The nurse apologized and let him in.

"Mom." He felt breathless. There were so many wires attached to her. An oxygen tube and a blue cap over her head. He felt his heart wrenched.

His mother looked up tiredly at him and smiled, "Sweetie." She croaked.

"Shh... Mom, you should rest." He whispered softly and brushed his mother's pale cheek.

"Where's Iris?" She asked weakly. Alex was tired of hearing her bloody name. He doesn't give a damn about her. He doesn't see why his mother was so keen of her.

"I'm here." He turned and saw Iris smiled. He saw sadness in her eyes. He mentally snorted, it was probably all just an act.

"Good." His mother whispered, then bursted into a coughing fit.

Iris panicked and instinctively held her frail hands. Her coughs died down. "Are you alright?"

"What kind of question is that?" Alex snapped. "Are you blind? Can't you see that she's in pain-" his mother touched his shoulder.

"That's enough, Alex." She frowned weakly, "She was just worried."

He clenched his jaw but softened at his mother's touch. He knew that she was right.

"Iris," Lisa looked at her, "Have you made your decision?"

Iris swallowed, "I think so.." She said.

"Mom, with your condition I don't think the wedding is necessary." Alex said abruptly.

"It is." She said. "Don't you want to make me happy for one last time?"

Iris's heart clenched at her words. She couldn't imagine what she would've done if her own mother was in Lisa's state.

"Mom, don't speak as if you're dying." Alex's voice cracked. Iris looked at him and realized that this was him. At his most vulnerable state.

"I am not speaking as if I am dying, Alexander, I am dying!" His mother told. Then she turned to Iris, "What is your decision?"

Iris gulped. Never in her life she wanted to cry in frustration as much as this. She hesitated, then she said, "Yes, I'll marry your son."

A tear rolled down Lisa's cheek as she smiled. She held her hand and pulled out her wedding ring and gave it to Alex. "Propose to her."

"What?" He sounded shocked.

"I said, propose to her." He looked at the ring then at his mother as if she was out of her mind. Nevertheless, he complied. He got up and walked to the other side of the bed.