thirty-one

Chapter 31

Instead of doing what Harry's told I look around the house. If there is a bomb here, then I'll find it. I have eight or maybe seven minutes to find it, if I hurry and there is a ticking clock about to explode, I'll have enough time to get everyone out of the house and a mile away from here before it goes off. 

I know there's not one in the basement, because I was hiding down there when I stabbed Mikael and if what the boys said is true, then Mikael must have hidden it. Or then again there could’ve been a bomb down there even before I went down there and someone had broken in and placed it in the basement. I decide it's best if I'd check just in case the second scenario is true. I hurry my way down the flights of stairs and to the door that leads to the basement. I open it and once again head down the flight of stairs; I flip on the light switch. 

"Caleb!" I scream, starring at the boxes of small boxes stacked on top of each other on the far corner of the room. Those were never there before and it was on the opposite side of where I was hiding. With the lights off when I was hiding, it made it impossible for me to see them. 

I hear footsteps coming from the stairs but I keep staring at the crates. 

"What are those?" Caleb asks looking at the crates. 

"A little surprise from Alex that will happen in around eight minutes or so." I say. 

"Bombs?" He asks connecting the dots to my words. 

"Yup. That whole Mikael situation was a setup for someone to put these down here." 

"We need to get out of here." Caleb says. 

"Harry said we need to go back to Boston." 

"No, if we go back to Boston, every one of our enemies that our family has made will follow us putting you in more danger than you already are. You're safer going back to Boston by yourself." Elijah says walking down the stairs, he must have been listening to our conversation from the door. 

"No, I'm not going to just leave you guys. Those bombs are going to go off and you'll guys will be left with nothing. And I'll go back to Boston where the warehouse is. It's not fair to you guys.'' I say. 

"Cat, we don't have much time, we don't need your arguing right now, get the keys to car and get out of here and drive back to Boston. Take as much money as you need, just get out of here." Elijah says. 

I was about to say something but Caleb stopped me. 

"Cat, please, all I want as a father is for my daughter to be safe. I'm not sure that you are safe anywhere now with enemy’s Harry has made and the enemy’s I have made, you not safe anywhere. But Harry has made very few unlike our family. Our family each have made our own enemies which means we are putting you in more danger than I would ever want you to be in. Do what Elijah says, we'll be fine we have houses scattered all around." 

I look at him then too Elijah, you could see the hurt in their eyes, they didn't want me to leave and maybe I didn't want either but I know I have too. Seeing Caleb's father come out of nowhere scared me. I don't think I have even been that scared in my life. I thought I was going to die and I don't want to feel that way. 

I don't say much I just hug the both of them. "Promise me the two of you will stay safe and you’ll take care of Kol and Rebekah?" They both nod and I head upstairs. 

Rebekah is in the kitchen. "Whatever important belongings you want you better get them now." I say to her. She looks at me confused. 

"Alex set up bombs down in the basement while I was trying to protect myself from Mikael. He was a distraction. We have little less than six minutes before they go off."