fifty-seven

Chapter 57

Cat

The doorbell ringing stopped the conversation between Lela and I. "I'll get it." I say getting up from the couch and walking towards the door. I unlock the door and open it to see an older man who looked to be in his late fifties.

"Hello, sorry, but do I know you?" I ask when I didn't recognize the man.

"Cat get away from the door." Lela says coming up from behind me. The tone of her voice sounded like she was angry but it also sounded like she was scared.

"Ah, well if it isn't the girl who bailed me out of jail." The man smirks, "I suppose I should thank you."

"Well pushing me against a god damn brick wall isn't the thank you I was hoping for." Lela says crossing her arms, "I didn't bail you out so you could come knocking on my door now leave."

"You bailed me out because you got into some mess with my bitch of an ex-wife. What mess?" He asks.

"What does it matter to you?" Harry asks walking down the stairs.

"I'm assuming the reason why you bailed me out, it was part of your plan. And you're plan was to get her away but I was thinking, why just chase her away? Why not kill her?"

"You want to kill her," I say in a hushed voice.

"You would rather have her alive so she can kill more people who are important to you?" He asks me.

"No, but what did she do to you that made you despise her so much?" I ask.

"She wasn't who she led on to be." He says, "Now may I come in?"

"No," Lela and Harry say at the same time. The man, who I still don't know the name of, looked taken back.

"I can help you find her, I know her ways, and where she will be."

"No thank you. Now, please leave before I do you the honors and throw you back in jail." Harry says.

The man throws his hands up in defense and backs away from the door, "Fine then."

Harry slams the door shut and walks over to the windows that were covered with the curtains.

"He wants in, we have to keep him out," Harry says peeking through the curtains. Within a second of saying that Harrys eyes go wide and he hits the ground yelling, "Duck!" Lela and I follow his actions seconds before glass shattered everywhere on the floor from the windows. A rolled up stack of newspapers hit the ground inches from Harry's feet.

"Get to the kitchen." Harry says getting up fast but being careful of the ground and pushing us towards the kitchen.

"It'd be best if you would've just let me in!" We hear him yell as we make our way towards the kitchen.

"How did he find us?" I ask.

"I don't know," Harry says. 

The door swings open and following it was a soccer ball he must have gotten from the neighbor's yard. The ball nearly takes Harry's head off but he ducked causing it to go through the glass doors that lead to the backward.

"Get down!" Lela yells at me pulling to ground behind the counter.

Following the ball was a white fence post the man must have also got from the neighbor's yard. The fence post hits the wall where Harry's head would've been if he hadn't ducked again. When Harry gets up from the floor he angrily pulls the post out of the wall and throws it back out the door so it hits the man, but he too ducks. The man throws another post but he misses.