thirty-nine

Chapter 39

Caleb

“Where is Harry?” I ask when everyone comes out of the room they were in.

“Wasn’t he just in that room?” Liam asks pointing to a room.

“Harry?” I call walking towards the room. When I go into the room there’s nothing; just a single bed. I walk out and see the boys are gone. I call out there names as I walk up and down the hallway.

“Caleb!” I hear a scream. It didn’t take me long to recognize the voice. It was Cat.

“Cat? Where are you?” I call out running in the direction I heard her voice.

“Caleb he’s got me!” She screams again.

“Who? Who has you?” I scream out still running.

When I turn the corner I see Cat. Only she is being held by the neck by Mikael.

“Well look who came to your rescue darling.” Mikael says to Cat.

“How are you alive? We killed you,” I say. When I say this everything clicks. I’m imagining this. It’s not real.

“I decided I wasn’t finished fighting you.” He says, “Come here and face me Caleb. Or she dies.” 

“Go ahead. Kill her.” I say.

“What? No, Caleb he’ll do it.” Cat speaks, in her eyes I can see she’s terrified. It almost feels so real from her expression

“You want me to kill your own daughter?” He looks at Cat, “I told you he never really cared for you.”

“I just need to be rid of you. If killing her gets rid of you so be it.”

“May I remind you, this girl is probably the only one who will stand by your side for whatever reason. So if I kill her you will have no one. You will live alone for the rest of your life. No one cares for you anymore, boy! You will have no one if I kill her.” He screams.

I fight back tears, “I’m calling your bluff father, kill her!”

“Come here and face me you little coward. And I won’t have to.” He screams.

“My whole life you've underestimated me. If you kill her you lose your leverage. So go ahead. Go on. Kill her. Come on, old man. Kill her. Kill her!” I scream back.

Mikael laughs, “Your impulse, Caleb. It has and will forever be the one thing that keeps you from truly being great.”

He stares at me for a second and then takes a knife, slitting her throat.  The tears I was holding in escape as I scream. It feels so real watching her die. Cat struggles for a breath and grabs her neck. When Mikael let’s go of her she falls to the ground.

When I look up from Cat expecting Mikael to be standing there he’s gone. So is Cat’s body.

“You’re smart you know,” A female voice from behind me. It doesn’t take me long to know that it’s Dalia.

“Well considering I killed him already it wasn’t hard to realize it wasn’t real.” I say.

“But really it was real. That’s your biggest fear. Well you have two of them actually; Cat dying and your own father.” She says.

“Well if you were around my father more you would be scared of him two.”

“But I also saw a glimpse of another fear of yours; being alone.”