epilogue

Epilogue

19 years later

Cameron

I bent down to have a look at the three lifeless bodies on the ground.

"Inspect them, see how they had been killed," Cat's advice popped into my mind.

I look at the first girl looked around fifteen with long ombre hair. There was a cut on her lip and bruises on her cheek. She wore a shirt that was once a beautiful color had turned into a dark red color from her wound – she'd been shot.

"Write down any information that you see," I take notes in the small note pad I have before moving on to the next girl.

She had curly blonde hair that came down to her shoulders. She looked older than the other girl, maybe she was around nineteen. You would've thought that she was asleep until you looked at her neck. Around it was a bruised line, with dried blood around it – she'd been chocked to death.

I moved to the last girl who was the youngest, she looked around thirteen. She had the longest, most beautiful brown hair. Like the first girl, her shirt was soaked with her own blood. Only instead her shirt had a dash in the fabric revealing a cut from what looked like a knife – she'd bleed to death.

"When you finish inspecting the bodies, look around the crime scene. Look at every little thing you never know what you will find."

I kept Cat's words in mind as I looked over at the ambulance where a girl who was a witness at the murder scene. I walked over to her with my notepad in my hand. Before speaking I inspected her too, quickly. She had bruises up and down her body, everyone in a while you would see a small cut or two. She looks up from the medic who was checking her blood pressure at me, I greeted her with a smile.

"Hi, I'm Detective Erickson but you can call me Cameron."

"When you talk to a witness, be as friendly as possible. Warm up to them and they will tell you everything they can."

"Is it alright if I ask you a couple questions?"

She nods hesitantly. She was still shaken up but who could blame her, she just watched three people get killed. She looked around sixteen and had long, curly brown hair.

"What's your name sweetie?" I ask.

"Ambria Patten." She says quietly, her voice is shaky.

"That's a pretty name," I say, "What was your relation to the three girls?"  

"The one that was shot, she is my older sister."

"What is her name?"

"Sherri Patten." She says.

"The other two?"

"The one who was chocked was my best friend, Lindy Moore," She says, "The youngest one was her younger sister, Breanna Moore."

 I wrote down the information she gave me on the notepad. "Now, do you know what the killer looks like?" I ask finishing writing down my last sentence.

"No, but I know what he looks like," She says that causes me to look up at her.

"That's great; we will get you to a sketch artist as soon as possible." I say. I ask her a couple more questions before she was sent off to the hospital to make sure that she was alright.

I look around the crime scene more. We were in a park that was made for children. We had closed it off because I don't think that any parent would be okay with their child finding three dead bodies. I go over to the play equipment and look around. I am reminded of what Cat said to me about how to look at every little thing. Underneath the slide I see a note. Unlike all of the other trash on the ground it wasn't wet from the rain that we had only a couple hours ago, which was when the murder happened.