四十九

ᔕᗩᗰ IᒪᔕO

The sun wasn't even out yet when Steve woke Lenna up. She was sure she tripped at least twelve times trying to find a sweatshirt in their shared apartment. The rent in DC was awfully expensive and the accommodations at SHIELD sucked, so Steve offered to let Lenna live in his spare bedroom.

Lenna graciously accepted and was amused when Tony demanded to see the place. He really was trying to be a better dad. Of course, his high expectations caused him to deem the small apartment unworthy, not that Lenna let that stop her.

Even though Steve had come up to New York to spend time with Lenna she ended up spending her last week with her father. Steve hung out and took in the sights but rarely with Lenna. Tony wanted to make up for the fact he missed her eighteenth birthday.

While they had already done most of the touristy stuff a couple of years ago they spent most of the time trying to find the best back-alley restaurants. The paparazzi did manage to find them a couple of times but they ended up saving a lot of local businesses by just eating there.

By the end of the week, Lenna had to admit, she had the coolest dad ever. Even if he did go AWOL every once in a while.

DC was so different from New York. It was very peaceful in the mornings, which is why Steve demanded that they take a run every morning. Sometimes he succeeded but not always. Today however Lenna complained a little less. The training at the Triskelion was becoming more difficult as she advanced.

Whenever possible Clint would be the one training her, with Nat stepping in every once in a while. Her training under Clint really allowed them to develop a close bond. As she advanced with hand to hand combat Clint said he would take her to a place down south to allow her to train more peacefully, without distractions.

Lenna took her time stretching, letting Steve get a good couple laps around the reflecting pool. She eventually joined him and after a few minutes began to notice someone else joined them.

"On you're left!" Steve shouted to the poor guy.

"Uh-huh. On my left. Got it," he said as if this had happened before.

Lenna grinned as she caught up to him. "On you're left."

"You too, little girl?" The man asked.

Lenna was making a good pace in front of the man. She hadn't gone much further in front of him but she could hear him protesting.

"Don't say it. Don't you say it."

"On your left," Steve breathed.

"Come on!" He shouted taking a few sprinting steps in a pitiful attempt to catch up to him.

"Sucks!" Lenna laughed as he caught up to her.

"Don't you get started!"

Lenna chuckled as she passed him clutching his side.

The rest of the run consisted of Lenna listening to music and watching the tranquility of the morning. She smiled when she saw the man on the ground. His sweatshirt was soaked in sweat. The choppy bottom of Lenna's sweatshirt ended right around her belly button. It used to be Steve's old sweatshirt but he gave it to her after she wore it a couple of times.

"Need a medic?" Steve said from behind Lenna.

"I need a new set of lungs," he laughed. "Dude, you just ran, like, thirteen miles in thirty minutes."

"I guess I got a late start," Steve joked. Lenna rolled her eyes and sat down adjacent to the man in the grass.

"Really? You should be ashamed of yourself. You should take another lap." He paused. "Did you take it? I assume you took it."

"What unit you with?" Steve asked, pointing at the man's sweatshirt.

"58th Pararescue," the man replied. "But now I'm working down at the VA." He held out his hand. "Sam Wilson."

Steve hauled him up. "Steve Rogers."

"Lenna Stark," said Lenna, hopping up next to them.

"I kind of put that together," Sam said to Steve. "Never knew Stark had a kid, though."

"I try to stay out of the spotlight."

Abrupt end I'm sorry