ᵉˡᵉᵛᵉⁿ

When the sun woke up, so did Steve

When the sun woke up, so did Steve. At the break of dawn, Steve rolled out of bed, unable to sleep anymore. Old habits die hard. His bed was made with military-grade (or hotel-grade) tautness and he changed into a hoodie and sweatshirt. His running shoes were a pair of trainers Lenna had brought him and, as grateful as he was, he much preferred the old boots he wore in the military.

He spent some time stretching outside, watching the sun make its way into the sky fully and warmed up by running the snowy path they normally took. When he returned Lenna was waiting for him. They ran around the lake and down the same couple of trails Steve took only minutes prior before returning home. By the time they returned home, they were both hungry for a nutritional breakfast.

Steve spent his afternoons reading and writing. He documented how he was feeling every day–his struggles and his triumphs, even small ones. Often he wondered what Lenna spent her afternoons doing, and when he asked her she replied vaguely, "Taking care of business in the outside world."

Every once in a while he would hear her on the phone with someone, usually arguing but sometimes she would sound happy. Steve did his best not to get used to life here. He knew that the moment he returned he would be on his own. If he was being honest with himself he was growing fond of having the Stark girl around him.

Today, Steve used his new knowledge to look for apartment listings on the computer. There was a little struggle before he got used to the website. Even so, he was slow to read and hesitant to click anything. He narrowed it down to three buildings he liked and tried to remember what buttons printed what he saw on the screen. Clumsily, Steve figured it out and printed all three out. Happy with what he accomplished, he checked his watch. It was almost dinner time and today was his day to cook.

Because of the lack of variety in the food he ate in the forties, Steve often struggled to think of something to make. Skimming the rows of food in the pantry and fridge, he settled on canned tomato soup and grilled cheese, something Lenna had introduced to him earlier on.

Lenna emerged from the bedroom at the smell of food. She smiled at him before moving to sit down.

"I heard word from Fury," she said in between bites of food. "They're sending a plane to pick us up first thing tomorrow. Congratulations, you made it through almost three months of me!"

He swallowed the bite of food he had slowly. "I was on the computer and I found some places I liked. Would you mind coming with me to check them out?"

"Of course."

For a while, they ate in silence. Grilled cheese crunching and soup slurping. It was nice.

One month later

"Dad, I'm not moving back to Malibu," Lenna huffed. "I've finally made friends and Grant's work has moved him here for the time being."

"Grant? I thought you and him broke up?"