22:Cousin Theo

____________

"What do you mean Aunt Sherl and Theo are coming today!?"

I cringed at the sound of my brother's voice.

"You told me they'd be here on Monday not Saturday!!"

Trace stood up from the floor. "Whoa, your brothers got some lungs on him."

Gabe chuckled along with Brian and Jamie. They were helping Gabe and I choose music and make a guest list for the birthday party on Saturday. I couldn't believe I was going to be 18 in exactly a week. So weird how time flies by.

Feels like just yesterday when I was a four year old running around and banging my face on the edge of tables.

Gabriel chuckled.

I scowled at him. He shouldn't be so nosy.

'I can't help it.' He thought.

"Hey Alex," I turned to Jamie. "What do you think of these lists of songs?" He handed me five different double sided sheets of paper. I scanned them quickly not bothering to actually read them. 

I nodded slowly. "Awesome-"

"DAD, COME ON I LOVE THEO BUT HE'S GONNA WANT ME TO DO STUFF 24/7!"

There were some muffled voices. Mom and dad trying to be the heroes of course. Maybe I need to get in there and seem like the hero. And plus I wanted Theo instead of Aunt Sheryl. I need just one more sign...

"WHY CAN'T ALEX DO IT?!"

Bingo.

I handed the sheets back to Jamie and started down the hall toward my parent's room. As soon as I opened the door I walked into the scene of my dad and brother face to face and my mom lying on the bed with her eyes shut.

I shut the door quite loudly.

Ant turned toward me and my mom sat up.

"I'd be happy to do stuff with Theo, dad. Not every day of course, and daddy," I walked up to him and wrapped my arms around his waist. "Don't be so hard on Ant. It's his time of the month."

Anthony scowled.

"How about this," I said. "I'll take Theo and Ant can take Aunt Sheryl."

"What?!" Ant yelled.

"I mean, it's only fair. I get Theo. Ant gets Sheryl. You know, unless mom wants Sheryl." I turned my innocent eyes toward my mother.

She shook her head. "She tires me out, sweetheart."

"Yes, and Anthony is young and still has the energy of a puppy. He can handle Aunt Sheryl."

Dad rubbed the stubble on his chin. "Alright well, when she gets here we'll work on a schedule but Alex, you can look after Theo." He gave me a peck on the head. "What I don't understand, Anthony, is why you won't hang around with Theodore. He's a year younger than you..." I left the room before I heard anymore.

Mission accomplished.

When I walked back into my room, everyone was singing along to Skinny Love by Bon Iver. I rolled my eyes, grabbed the glasses I never wear and grabbed my book.

They could sort out the music while I caught up on my reading. I never got to finish the Cirque De Freak book I started a couple of weeks ago.

As I finished reading a fifth page I Love College by Asher Roth started playing and everyone dropped what they were doing and started dancing. 

That is except for me and Gabe.

"Come on babe! Don't make me and Brian have to force you up!" Jamie yelled

I sighed but Jamie pulled me up and lifted our hands in the air. I started laughing and dancing with him.

This felt normal. This is the first normal activity I've done in ages. Jamie and I danced to the beat and laughed and sung along to the chorus. 

At the corner of my eye I could see Tracey and Brian laughing and singing their faces off. But I could also see Gabriel at the sides smiling; watching me.

The song finished and Chillin' Wale Ff Lady Gaga came on. I laughed. "Is this going on the playlist?"

Jamie chuckled. "Yeah, of course."

My phone started vibrating in my pocket. "Hello?"

"Lex, where's my ass of a twin?" Megan said.

"Jamie's here do you want him?"

"Nope just wondering."

We stayed silent for a moment. "Meg, do you wanna come over?"

The door to my bedroom opened revealing a smirking Megan. "Thought you'd never ask."